problem desoldering laptop dc jack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

civy

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  10:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your site has been very helpful and I have followed it to the letter. I am trying to replace the dc jack on my Gateway laptop to save the motherboard. I am new to soldering but have practiced on an old board and feel confident after much practice. My problem is that the solder is not melting. I can't get the old dc jack off. It's not shiny like the other solder. I don't know what it is. I have tried 2 different irons, wick, vacuum, everything. I think I'm doing everything right but nothing is working. Anyone have any ideas?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  10:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure it is abosolutely clean by washing the area with alcohol. It sometimes also helps to add some fresh solder.

How powerful is your soldering iron? If it's a 15W iron, it will probably never work. A good 30W iron would do the job.

Has it been repaired before? Maybe someone used conductive epoxy instead of solder?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000