How to drive leds directly from mains
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aravindj36
Apprentice

India
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit aravindj36's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hai how can i drive about 30leds directly from the mains 220v without any flicker and the maximum light

Help me my amplifier is on fire and my speaker is inside a beaker

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  7:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each LED is 1.8V for a red one or 3.5V for a blue or white one.
You forgot to say which colour.

Simple arithmatic shows that the max voltage your LEDs need is (30 x 1.8V=) 54V to (30 x 3.5V=) 105V.
Simple arithmatic also shows that you need to drop (220 x 1.414) - 54V to 105V= 115V to 166V.

Calculate the reluctance of a capacitor so that it limits the current to whatever is the rating of your LEDs (20mA?).
Then rectify the AC and filter it with a capacitor.
Go to Top of Page

aravindj36
Apprentice

India
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit aravindj36's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry but I forgot to write I need to drive super bright white leds and
Iam sorry to say that I didnt understand anything you said and would a 220nf that is 0.22mfd work and if you mean rectification you say to put a diode bridge and where should i wire the capacitor and please give me a figureand also suggest me a good and free schematic drawing program

(pssst dont take laxatives and sleeping pills together you will experience it)

Go to Top of Page

codingplanet
Mad Scientist

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  11:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit codingplanet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Firstly you need to know the forward voltage of the specific LEDs you are going to use and also the current you are going to drive them with.

When rectified, 220Vac gives ~310Vdc so the voltage needs to be dropped by around 200-250V.

220nF = 0.22uF not 0.22mF.

A capacitor needs to go in parallel with the output of the bridge rectifier.

Edited by - codingplanet on Jan 16 2010 11:07:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  12:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you don't know anything about electronics then stay away from dangerous 220VAC.
Go to Top of Page

aravindj36
Apprentice

India
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  03:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit aravindj36's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello mr.john who said that i don't know electronics i just don't know how capacitors work thats all

Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  04:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Capacitors are vital to know about if you are working with electronics.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page

abdulgtm
Apprentece

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  05:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Arvin,
I am giving you site where from you can easily get such projects as
www.hobbyprojects.com
hope u will get ur requirement.
abdul
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes! Websites like this are the places you should be going to first. I've learnt that it's much more worth my time going to places that already have the information up for viewing than to come to a forum and ask someone to help me design something. I can't remember ever going to a forum and asking for help in starting a project. In the early days on this forum I would come here only to ask for help on a specific problem I had with my design that I had already made without assistance. It's the best way to do it.

I suppose some people just lack the self motivation that I have. I've been doing electronics since I was a baby. My motivation? The ongoing quest to the "need to know how things work" mindset. I see a battery and a light bulb out of a toy I opened up and I close the circuit with a wire and that's how it started. Now I'm building robots and trying to reverse engineer the brain, but I won't give away to much on that.

Good luck!

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page

aravindj36
Apprentice

India
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  02:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit aravindj36's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr.Reverse brain engineer I got the circuit from an old book and its giving me light that is equal to one of those 20watt cfl's

Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 20W CFL shines bright light all around. But thirty 3.5V white LEDs operating at 20mA have an output of only 2.1W and don't shine all around unless you point each one in its own direction. Then the LEDs will be much dimmer than a 20W CFL.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000