Its Called Cold Heat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moody
Mad Scientist

USA
326 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit moody's Homepage  Send moody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/coldheat/coldheat/115782/

its called Cold Heat its the coolest soldering iron ive ever seen

another site says it will be on QVC in Jan.

and only $20

David S

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  08:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool, but I did notice a few things:

1. They didn't describe how it worked. If it is patented, then there's no danger in this. If it isn't patented, then expect much cheaper imitations soon.

2. It's doubtfull that you'll be soldering anything but thin wires using 4 AA batteries. The heat capacity of that tip seems to be very low even though the temperature is high.

3. What kind of Web designer puts a video up on their page and makes it play automatically?!?!?

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3. What kind of Web designer puts a video up on their page and makes it play automatically?!?!?

One that assumes that everyone on this earth has a broadband internet connection.

That is prety awsome, especially for me since I tend to burn my self often with my iron.

Still, I use my iron mostely for small things like circut boards so I dont need alot of power.

Ill hold out and see if there is a cheeper verson, I have to save my money for a new multimeter, I ssem to go through those like battries.

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page

Chamkeeper
Mad Scientist

278 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have made a more expensive rechargable unit like that for many, many years. My experience says the rechargable one is junk. Just about enought time to melt the solder then batteries die. This one may be better but I'm skeptical. There is a huge need for a portable iron like that. They make butane powered portable units that work pretty well, but its not the best to have an open flame powered device when repairing wires 2 feet from 800 gallons of jet fuel. I did modify a recahargable unit to use 4.8v RC Car batteries and it worked great, just heavy and still corded, however the batteries could be recharged in 15 mins so if they did die it was only a minor delay.

Go to Top of Page

moody
Mad Scientist

USA
326 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2004 :  5:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit moody's Homepage  Send moody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yea i have one of those butane powered soldering irons and i only keep it on for 3 minutes MAX before letting it cool off
but they do work well

reports say it will only do small jobs

and i think $20 is better than a hot finger.

David S
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2004 :  07:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I doubt the batteries would last long, good for a small quick repair, but not for soldering an entire board.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  09:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, last week Yoshi reviewed this on The ScreenSavers.

He hated it. And from what I saw of it, the thing is garbage.

The tip is HUGE compared to a regular iron, so don't think about soldering anything but wires. Also, the tip is made of carbon, so it is very brittle. Yoshi broke one in about 5 minutes. The tip is split at the point, and a connection between the two "forks" is used to turn the iron on and off. So soldering CMOS is out of the question...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000