site speed question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moody
Mad Scientist

USA
326 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  11:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit moody's Homepage  Send moody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
why is this form page soo slow?

ive gone to mopedarmy.com and its really fast

just want to know

David S

Brian
Apprentice

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2004 :  9:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This website is running on one P166 with 64 megs of ram. The pages are dynamically generated in the froum (I think) and this old computer gets quite a bit of traffic (Aaron, did you say one gig a day at one point?)

Also, I think the speed of connections is limited, use the search feature, I am very sure Aaron talked about this in the past.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  09:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Like any site, this one can have super busy periods. This is exaggerated by the idiots that insist on downloading the whole site, or try to use "download managers" to more quickly download some of the larger files. If several people (on the order of about 10 or so) are using some of the CPU hungry features, then there can be a slowdown.

I have mostly solved the "download manager" problem by limiting all connections to 10K/S and only allowing one stream per IP.

Yes, this site runs on a P166, w/64 MB of RAM, running NT4 Server SP6. You will notice that most of the time, the site is responsive and quick, even though the hardware is "old". Honestly, the limitation is bandwidth, not server speed. Even this old machine, which it's array of Seagate Barracuda Ultra Wide SCSI drives can easily saturate the upstream bandwidth of my connection.

Another odd problem is that like many high profile sites, this one is under nearly constant attack by morons and script kiddies. Most of the time this doesn't effect things, but once and a while it becomes nasty.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000