Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  06:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my first of them rare-earth magnets about a week ago, and wow are them suckers strong! If I'd have know they were so strong, I would have went out awhile ago and bought a bunch just to play with! You can do some really interesting things with them, and they are still so small. I've been wanting to coat mine with something that prevents rust, but can't figure it out, I can't paint them, and I haven't thought of anything other than silicone, which would probably reduce the magnetic field too much, or buying them nickel plated to prevent the rust. But my already bought magnets would still be left to rust! Any ideas on how to rust proof them?
TH160

Life's stories don't write themselves--

da-g-dog
Mad Scientist

USA
231 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit da-g-dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Buy a can of Krylon Clear Enamel.

hike master kyle
Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I can't paint them, due to their field of use. Any other ideas?
TH160

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
galvinized works pretty good or powdercoated, however those are hard things to do at home. there are paints that are resistant to alot of chemicals. what is it that you have in mind?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  02:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignore my previous post, I talked to the company, and decided to go ahead and paint them. BEatonNo1, it's just some electro-magnetic-medical stuff. Thanks all for your help!
TH160

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the spherical magnets. You could make little pyramids of spheres and 'necklaces' with them. With some metal rods you can actually make little buildings or atom models with them.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  06:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone think that duck (duct?) tape will interfere with a magnetic field? It's supposed to be electrically conductive, and some people say that it is going to mess with the magnetic field, while others say it won't. Will it? Oh, another question, has anyone done business with the GaussBoys?

(http://www.gaussboys.com/default.php)

I was planning on buying some magnets there, and was wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with them. I just noticed I got my second star, I love how it looks! Pretty red, oooooh.
TH160

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless your going to be doing some insainly precise stuff with those magnets,
I doubt that ducttape will effect the magnetic field to much

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Duck tape isn't conductive. Ive used it in place of electrical tape many times.Obviously it may present safety hazards.

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Actually there's a couple different kinds of duct tape. One type is shiney aluminum foil, which is conductive. The more common grey type that most people are used to is not conductive. On actual duct work you usually see the aluminum type.
Either way, it will not affect your magnetic field to any noticeable degree.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  8:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
isnt duct tape and duck tape 2 different kinds of tape?

Duct tape - for air ducts
Duck tape - everything else

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  10:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Duck tape is actually a brand name.
Duct tape is the aluminum shiney stuff used to patch and join air ducts.
The grey stuff commonly called 'Duct Tape' is also called 100 MPH tape because it was used in formula 1 racing: Pit crews would often use it to keep damaged parts from falling off the car if there wasn't time for a full repair. 3M makes the strongest formulation that I know of.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  06:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long would the gold plate on one of these magnets last if it were sat outside in the elements? How about if you taped one of them to your forehead, and then walked around all day, all long would the plate last then? No plans to do it, but it would be good to know how long they last being in contact with your skin.
TH160

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  11:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Gold is pretty non-reactive. It doesn't degrade inside or outside a human body, it doesn't rust, and it doesn't corrode. That's why it's so popular. The only thing off hand I know that will hurt it is mercury; gold dissolves in mercury.
It would be pretty funny taped to your forhead, but your sweat and body oils wouldn't hurt it. Just remember that if you put your head down on a desk to take a quick power nap that you might snag some paperclips.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the gold would come off of the magnets before the gold would actually react with anything. dont soak it in cyanide because that will disolve it. as for the mercury, it doesnt desolve it, but there is a strong attraction (kind of like self cohesion, but with the noble metals). thats why when your gold panning you use the mercury to get your flakes out then you strain the mercury through a cheesecloth to get it back.

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  5:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. That's nifty. I had a science teacher tell me that part of his gold ring was dissolved by mercury. Maybe the mercury just lifted off the gold?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000