Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  6:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, if it was electroplated or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  9:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that solid gold wouldn't rust or anything like that, but since the magnets are plated, wouldn't the gold come off? Kind of like a cheap gold ring. Since it's not solid gold, the gold eventually rubs off on someones finger. TH160

Life's stories don't write themselves--
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would use nickle or chrome or something like that, its cheaper. if you want something durable though, just coat it with a plastic. it wont rust, its UV tolorant, and resistant to alot of chemicals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2004 :  05:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So does gold last shorter or long than nickel or chrome? The extra price for the gold is all right, it's not that much. I am about to buy a large ceramic magnet, 6 3/4" x 4", from Magnetic Arts (http://www.magneticarts.net) it is magnetized
parallel to thickness. I was looking at the chart on their site, and wanted to make sure I understood it properly. Parallel to thickness means that one 6x4" surface is north and the other 6x4" surface is south, right? Thanks all!
TH160

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  3:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what do you plan to use these for? finding a coating that matches the use is the best way to go about this. getting It chromed or galvanized or plastic coated will be much more durable than using thin gold foil. those coatings will be just as resistant to most situations as gold.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

36 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  10:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay. The one use is in a weather device that will be used outside, in possibly snow, rain, extreme heat, and cold. The other is medical related, and possibly in constant contact with skin. It's not going to be taped to your forehead, like I said earlier, that was just an example. Thanks!
TH160

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  5:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
If it's going to be contacting the skin then use gold; it won't react to human sweat and body oils.
As for the weather station, pretty much whatever should work as long as the magnet doesn't get drenched in salt water constantly.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rustoleum spray paint?

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000