Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2003 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the university. While there are probably a lot of open SMTP relays around, most are being quickly closed for the reasons I already mentioned. Any university that has open SMTP will be quickly blacklisted. Obviously, they wish to avoid this. Also remember that the Internet is far from anonymous, and even a spoofed IP address can be relativly easily traced.

For outside access, we are talking about two different things. TelNet access is much different then an open SMTP relay, and receiving mail has nothing to do with sending. Most TelNet sessions also require a valid user/pass combination, and guest access rarely has sendmail access.

While I'm sure that there are a lot of insecure setups, it's not worth the time and trouble to deal with a few idiots. I just cut and paste a stock reply directing them to this topic.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

67 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2003 :  12:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i use telnet for my ghosting (i dont do it often, in fact ive done it twice, once when i learned how, and once yesterday to make sure i still could, which i can), and it seems to work just fine. but for all the people that get refered to this topic. you are dumb.

~ ~ ~ ~ [] []v[] []D //-\\ (( =[]= ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

Hassan Kude
Apprentice

Nigeria
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2003 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
impact can you tell me more on telnet.i need to do some ghosting too

Zig Zag
Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)