Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2003 :  6:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check this out

http://www.io2technology.com/index.htm

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  02:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats Pretty cool. And thats really advanced. Aaron, what do you have to say? Im stomped

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...But how exactly is air illuminated? Anyone who has ever shone a flashlight or laser through the air knows that you don't see the beam, only the spot of light at the end. You need a seriously powerful laser to make the beam visible, and at that point, things become significantly dangerous for anyone around. We're talking rock-melting power here...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

96 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  10:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, thats one of those things that you wouldn't expect to see in your own time... But I've got a couple questions... it modifies the air that it ejects to form a display. I can't see how wind wouldn't totally disrupt it, although I can see how perhaps maybe moving air will move the picture... ok i don't really understand it at all, not sure. i think that by using ejected air, the picture would become distorted too easily. obviously i dont understand, cause it seems that it doesn't (esp putting it on a trade floor). I wonder how the picture quality is too. It seems it would be really hard to keep a good picture on air. I dunno the whole air thing and it moving and stuff has got me stomped, though I know that I'm just not seeing the process they use to modify the air. Would the ejected modified air be seperate from a device that projects the picture onto these modified particles? That seems it to me... I dunno. Anyone goin to the trade show?!

Yesterday USA, Jetzt Deutschland... RYE
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  10:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
It seems a little over the top to me. I wouldn't risk making a call on this one way or the other. We'll just have to wait and see.
Still, if it is for real then it would be pretty impressive: It would require an extremely high degree of control to be able to hold a stable image.
But remember that 'Phantom' game consol that turned out to be a bunch of bullplop?
Don't get your hopes up on this one either!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

96 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i doubt they use any type of laser or light. It must be a pulse (don't remember much about waves and such) or something that stimulates the iodite particles that exit the "projector" (if you will). anyone know what stimulates iodite (IO2)? IO2 mixed with Hydrogen is acidic, but I'm curious as to how this all works with air. IO2 is quite charged, is this being used like an oxygen dimer? Sorry, don't know much about chemistry, but I know that adding oxygen to iodine will give it a charge--- becomes IO2. so, then what? what turns this into a picture, hence, what stimulates IO2 to form a color. the charge can't change of the IO2 floating around, or it would be a jumbled picture... so that's why a wave sounds like it would work to me, but I dunno. Gonna have to read more about this stuff, this is really cool

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

96 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--"Air comes into the device, is ejected and illuminated using a proprietary technique in which the photons and air produce the image"

photons AND air...photons illuminate the air to produce an image... why don't I read more carefully... OK now I'm behind even more... yes i promise I'll stop posting until I actually have something figured out in my head lol

Go to Top of Page

Epsilon!
Mad Scientist

Canada
276 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoa..$22k

the resolution is 1024x768... i thought it would be more..

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2003 :  10:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I first saw it on the Tech Channel, the film they showed looked just as the website claims. and pretty awsome I might add.

As far as i can tell the air itself isnt actually glowing, its acting as a relecting medium.
1 the picture is 2D

2 the image has a veiwing angle of like 150 degrees or something, if the air itself was glowing then you would see it from all sides, plus it would be a 3D object

3 all of the images have a bright spot in the bottom center, like the ambiant light you see when you look at a projector's beam.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

96 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2003 :  07:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true... didnt mean that it was glowing on it, but what i was thinking falls into the same category did they say anything about how it works, or what did they say about it on that tech channel?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2003 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
But how the heck do you illuminate air? Unless they're blowing dust into it (which wouldn't surprise me)...You could certainly illuminate plasma, but I doubt I would want to come near such a device, and I don't even want to know the kind of power they would be using to free-form a plasma ball that size...

Go to Top of Page

cool_tejinder
Apprentice

India
112 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2003 :  12:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Send cool_tejinder an AOL message  Send cool_tejinder a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Man u people are poor in chem n phy. I didnt expect this from u aaron. Take a beam of light like the one of electrons(e-) in the crt of a monitor instead of e- use photons. Use de Broglie's equation h=lambda/m*v lambda is wavelendth fo photon. then the air atom will release another photon which will have wavelength in the visible region n u get the image(a point that is). Now just start scanning the ray like in a CRT n u get the complete image. If someone doesnt understand do post it.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2003 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well as light moves through mediums with different densities you can bend it so if they have changed the density of the air, then you could bend the light could you not?

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2003 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
You couldn't bend it enough. Bending requires a change in index of refraction, so you'd need a fairly large density change to accomplish that. As for the DeBroglie stuff, that's just optical scattering. You generate a point source. The problem is how do you control the direction of emission of that photon? Since the viewing field is limited to 150 degrees I doubt this is the method they are using. It's not that simple and I don't think that has much to do with whatever it is that these guys are doing.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

96 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2003 :  02:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was waiting on that indian kid. but i dont think that is it either. other changes occur inside of a crt tube than just that, though that is a basic principle.

Go to Top of Page

cool_tejinder
Apprentice

India
112 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2003 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Send cool_tejinder an AOL message  Send cool_tejinder a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Willum what were u wating on me for. Point the laser on to a mirror which points it to 3 other mirrors which then project the beam into the air n then create an image using the same eqn again. Use magnets like in a the crt. Else i just thought of another way they could do it in they simply project the beam through a series of prisms and then project into the air from multiple directions. I think that is a better a method

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000