Electronics Repair
 How do you solder tiny pins to board
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

norwood451

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  11:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit norwood451's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Dell Axim x50 and the sync connector is broken (one pin is broke) and I would like to solder the tiny pins with a replacement part. It appears that the pins are VERY close together and there are about 40 pins to connect to the board. Can someone advise me on how to successfully solder the pins without making a mess of it?

Part I want to buy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110547030027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Photo of connector on bottom of photos (labeled 4k4.
http://pdasmart.zftp.com/instructions/X50_X50v_disassembly_18.pdf

Download Attachment: Connector s.jpg
101.14 KB

David

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  10:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First, practice! Find something similar and practice removing and installing the pins. You can remove them by heating with a fine tipped soldering iron then using a solder sucker to remove the excess solder. Then installation is basically the reverse. Clean the area, use a very find tip, and then a small dab of solder.

It may help to melt a small bit of solder onto the board, then heat the pin to sink it into the solder. After which you would add a small amount of solder to solidify the joint.

Very fine solder is a must. This is a pretty challenging first soldering project and if that is the case, it's worth practicing on a similar connector.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000