Enclosures, Faceplates and PCB mounting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

louisk2
Apprentece

13 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  04:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I've built a PCB to accept an low level audio signal from RCA inputs and split it into two outputs, whilst providing some level control with potentiometers, and other audio normalisation procedures. It also displays a level meter with LED's.

I've got a few questions about how to go about housing the PCB in an enclosure.

Firstly, how would I go about placing this PCB in an enclosure and connecting the PCB to the RCA plugs, potentiometers and LEDs that are fashioned to the case and the faceplate?

Secondly, any tips on how to build and design faceplates, and attach inputs to the casing? This unit is going to be put in a car, so some LED lighting would be nice so I can use it at night.

It's a bombardment of questions, but I'm completely new at this sort of thing and don't really know what to search for on google either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

Darkthero
Apprentice

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  06:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is kinda hard to answer , because its more based on what you might like:
But.. here it goes
1st question: Placement in a enclosure- you need to find out how bug the circuit will be (Dimensions) and select a box you will like and it it will fit or not. and as for the face plate that i have seen enclosures that have a metal face you can drill holes for the plugs and potentiometers. that might look nice here is a link i randomly picked http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G17004 You can go to Google images and search project boxes to find one that looks good to you.

2nd Question: i think this part is left you your imagination. im not sure how it will be wired into your car too.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  09:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Use plastic standoffs to secure the board to the bottom of the enclosure, or use an enclosure to fit your circuit board that has slotted sides.

How the jacks are mounted depends on what style you used. If they are on the PC board, then you just need to drill holes that line up with the jacks and slot the PC board in. If they are off on leads, then drill holes and position them.

For lighting, tie into the dash light dimmer circuit. Check the FSM for your car to find the appropriate wire.
Go to Top of Page

louisk2
Apprentece

13 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  06:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ppl, great suggestions!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page