Electronics Repair
 amp troubles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

levi

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  11:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could some1 tell me how to couple ic audio amps....i want to use it as a guitar amp.. i have couple of ic amp boards lyin around which says 40W!!!... along with pre-amps.. i think it has d potential to give really good distortion(with lots f noise actually)...

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  12:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by levi

could some1 tell me how to couple ic audio amps....i want to use it as a guitar amp.. i have couple of ic amp boards lyin around which says 40W!!!...

What do you want to couple??
Usually, you can't connect the ouputs of amplifiers in parallel. If it was possible then the output power to a speaker will be the same as one amplifier.

The output power of amplifiers is exaggerated. A 40W amp might produce 40 Whats but only 4 Watts.
Go to Top of Page

levi

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thnx for d reply...
i mean in series... i tried it wid capacitors and pots in between but d output jus goes low after a second at the output of the 2nd amp... since it is to b used as a guitar amp,distortion is not a problem... is it possible to get a gain that is product of the seperate gains of the amps?(as in low power transistor amplifiers)...
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want more gain then just play louder or turn up the amp's volume control.
when an amplifier reaches its max rated output power then if the input is turned up the amplifier has severe clipping distortion. The resulting square-waves have twice as much power (a little louder) than the amp at its max undistorted power.

If the input impedance of your amp is too low so that it loads down your guitar's pickup then you need a preamp with a high input impedance. Then the main amp will have a higher input level so that it can reach its max output power easier.
Go to Top of Page

sergiosparks
Apprentice

Philippines
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  8:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sergiosparks an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe your guitar needs a pre amplifier before plugging it to
your amplifier.See if you could hear it louder when you plug it
to an amplifier with a mic input if its louder then you definitely
need a pre amp.
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  9:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mic preamp with a low input impedance is not good for a guitar pickup that needs a preamp with at least 1M input impedance. Many high input impedance guitar preamps have a voltage gain of only 3. A mic preamp has a voltage gain of 50.
Go to Top of Page

ajmix2
Apprentice

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  11:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ajmix2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guitar in mic input=bad idea. I tried in my studio...it didn't go well. It sounds like crap. Invest in a decent rocktron gainiac guitar preamp.

If at first you do not succeed, try and try again till you can't try no more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000