Guitar Effects pedal problems.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robdude
Apprentice

USA
141 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  6:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Send robdude a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi I have a Digitech Grunge distortion pedal. The other day I was showing it to a guy who might have wanted to buy it. I did not have a battery so like an idiot the guy jumpt up and ran and got a wall adapter(not desined for pedals) I told him to let me look at it before he pluged it up but it was too late he had just pluged it up. he turned on the amp and of course it did not work.The LED indicater light would not come on and the pedal would not work. I quikly unpluged the adapter. I looked and the polarity switch was not the way it should have been and the voltage was set a 5V. I went and got a real 9V battery and pluged it up. Once more the light would not come on and nothing would work. Finaly I pressed and held down the pedal and sound came out of the amp but the light still would not come on and the knobs did nothing. Can this be fixed? if so how?

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey bud. Wow the Net is useless for finding schematics I've been looking for a while now and all I can find is "hook up schematics" (plug your guitar into the input of pedal. Guitar cable from output of pedal to input of amp). WOW! If you need a schematic to figure that one out... I could say some choice phrases! LOL! Anyway I have no idea where my old digitech schematics went because I did a lot of repairs on guitar equipment in the past. Ofcourse though I cant seem to find them.

To the best of my memory a guy brought me a black cat moan wah pedal quite a few years ago. They accidentally plugged an 18 volt top positive adapter to the pedal that needs a 9volt tip negative. It was a long time ago but from what i think i remember is it fried a diode, one or two caps, and a transistor...

Anyway just follow the standard troubleshooting procedure. 1) Physical "switches, jacks" you have the advantage of knowing that it was the wrong adaptor. So go and check the components from the adapter jack and keep going. Sooner or later you'll come across you problem component(s).

Sorry I’m not of more help. I have not done any repairs in electronics in about 5 years so I'm really rusty! But if you’re looking the problem you'll find it. Just use your trusty multimeter. Hope that helps.

ps. Most digitech pedals are fairly cheap $40 or $60 and you can buy a new one for the cost of parts and time.
Go to Top of Page

robdude
Apprentice

USA
141 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  8:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Send robdude a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks bud. Keep rockin!
Go to Top of Page

heavylittle04

40 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  04:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey!! i got a question!! is it possible to combine 2 guitar fuzz effects!!

these effects were the guitar fuzz effect(found on this site) and the Bazz Fuss(found here http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html)

i was planning to build it on a breadboard to test but i think the sound must be distorted!!

any advice please?
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is fuzz?? It is severe distortion.

The Bass-Fuzz circuit distorts all frequencies, not just bass.
Try the simple Bass-Fuzz circuit. Switch from one fuzz circuit to the other fuzz circuit.
Go to Top of Page

heavylittle04

40 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  09:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha! thanks!! but what would happen if 2 fuzz was line in a circuit? will it wreck my amplifier?
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can make as much distortion as you want. Your amplifier doesn't care.
The distortion might blow your tweeters or your ears.
Go to Top of Page

heavylittle04

40 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it really that dangerous!!? i'm just using a 10 watt amp!!
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tweeters are made to play music, not distortion. There are a lot of powerful high frequencies in distortion that can destroy a delicate tweeter.

Your hearing is also destroyed by the loud high frequencies caused by distortion.
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Too much distortion will make your guitar sound flat and muddy with no tone or definition. Get a pedal with a tone that works really nice with your guitar and amp.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000