Tesla: Master Of Lightening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  09:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone happen to catch that on the History Channel last night? I was just flipping channels, and found it just as it begain. A bizzare coincidence, as I just started reading the book by the same name a few days ago...

Excellant program. It was great seeing Tesla credited for all the things that many of us here know he invented, yet the rest of the population credits to others. Great footage of some of his larger coils and experiments as well.

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  3:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I belive Tesla was the gratest electrical and scientific mind of his time and beyond. He was actually first to reasarch and thorise about using radio communications. Before he died, he was experimenting with ways to transmit powr wirelssly. He worked with Edison who blived his DC power grid was th way to go, but sinc it cannot use transformers, it would require a power station per city, and with todays power requirements, it would fail. Tesla on the other hand urged people to us an ac system and helped design the Tesla/Westinghouse AC power system that we use today.

If anything is wrong, please correct me.

Personally, i would lik to replicat some of his expeimnts. I once read that in his laboratory, he had a Wireless power experiment soo large, people saw crona coming off plants a block away!!

Edited by - cirvin on Dec 02 2003 3:36:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

56 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  6:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you folks recommend any good media about Tesla and his works. I am interested in learning. I appreciate the time! have a good one!

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, a good google session will bring up a crapload of information. Thh "brent's high voltag page" on Aarons favorite websites has some good info on tesla.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2003 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I belive Tesla was the gratest electrical and scientific mind of his time and beyond.

Damn right. I have about two "heros" in my life: Nikola Tesla and John DeLorean.

quote:

worked with Edison who blived his DC power grid was th way to go, but sinc it cannot use transformers, it would require a power station per city, and with todays power requirements, it would fail.

That's basically it. Edison an American hero?! What a crock of shit. All Edison did was steal other people's patents...Anyway, Edison's DC system has obvious disadvantages. At the time, there was no easy way to increase DC voltages, or decrease them efficiently. About the only way was to run a generator with a motor! The problems should be obvious. One minor thing, is that Edison wanted to build a power station every block, because DC cannot be transmitted over long distanced effectively unless massivly thick conductors are used (6" and bigger!). Great for the Edison corperation, crap for everyone else.

quote:

Tesla on the other hand urged people to us an ac system and helped design the Tesla/Westinghouse AC power system that we use today.

Yep, Tesla basically single handedly developed the entire AC system, from generators, to transformers to substations to motors.

quote:

Personally, i would lik to replicat some of his expeimnts. I once read that in his laboratory, he had a Wireless power experiment soo large, people saw crona coming off plants a block away!!

Quite true. His lab in Colorado Springs was known to throw hundred foot lightening bolts, and blacked out the entire town several times.

Funny thing is that I was in Colorado Springs in the summer of 2000 for a Laser Quest tournament. I literally walked by "Nikola Tesla Memorial Park" every day, and it didn't make a connection. Then, on the way back, I stood up on the plane and loudly exclaimed "SHIT!". Oh well, I will make it back there one day.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2003 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hidden in plain sight I guess. I had an ida to modify a microwave so that th tank is tund to a different, non cooking, frequency to kind of replicate the wirelss transmition of power. THe only problm is I would have to shield everyting from getting zapped!

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2003 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
That and there are the health considerations of being around that much near-microwave and microwave radiation.
Large EM fields act as particle traps, drawing in any dust or crap in the air. As a result, the air around large power lines, transformers, etc. is loaded with dust and pollutants. Originally, some researchers believed that health problems in people living around power lines was due to the EM fields. Later studies point to this particulate draw as the more likely cause.
Also, if you screw up with a microwave you could cook yourself or electrocute yourself on something.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2003 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. That is intersting. If you could build a powerfull enugh feild, you can make a large scale air purifyer!

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Yess... anything not anywhere near the generator would have good air... Hehe...

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you put it in like a landfill or an industrial area where there aren't many poeple.

Go to Top of Page

YS
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2003 :  11:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit YS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting and complete description of Tesla coil project.
Look at

http://www.manufacturing.net/dn/index.asp?layout=siteInfoWebzine&view=Detail&doc_id=128337

or, if does not work, go to www.designnews.com and find "design freak" in left bottom corner.. other projects there are interesting, too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000