Arc welding dangers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2003 :  12:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me the dangers of arc welding? i know it uses a high temp spark, and the joint will be hot right after you weld, but are their any hidden dangers?

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2003 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
poor welds can cause your device to fail...um dont breath in the fumes....really dont breath in the fumes if your welding galvanised suff. Oh yeah dont look at it you can burn your retna, but its kinda hard to do in the first place...like looking at the sun

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2003 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Be careful in damp conditions. It's harder to control your arc and you're more likely to get zapped. Also, something you cobble together isn't going to have the same kind of safeties built in as a commertial product, so beware of lawsuits is someone else is using it...

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2003 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
mmm fumes. thanx, ill probably use one of the 100$units from harbor freight

Go to Top of Page

da-g-dog
Mad Scientist

USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2003 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit da-g-dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

mmm fumes. thanx, ill probably use one of the 100$units from harbor freight

You don't neccesarily need a respirator or filter, usually a regular welding hood will be fine. Male sure you have at least a #10 shade lens in it though or you will get flash burn. If you are using 6010, 6011 or 6013 rod for stick welding, they are more dirty than, say, 7018. You also want to make sure you use the right type of rod or wire for the material you are welding. For example, 7018 needs a totally clean and dry weld joint, whereas the 60xx electrodes i mentioned can be run on dirty, rusty or even wet material. Also make sure you know the procedure for each process. 6010 and 6011 for example require a "whipping" action to weld properly, whereas 7018 is just run along the joint. There are several good books out there to learn the basics of welding from. The Welding Bible is a good one. Or better yet, take a class or two at a community or technical college to learn first hand.

hike master kyle
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2003 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well your still going to have the fumes when you weld, with a commercial one or not, welding in the open is pretty much you need to do. I think we use NR211 wire (that number sounds about right) it welds over anything, galvanized, painted, powder coated, rusted, wet, ect ect.

Edited by - beatonno1 on Nov 09 2003 1:04:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2003 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out:

http://www.aussieweld.com.au/arcwelding/

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2003 :  10:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
cool thanks. much help. i wil only weld outside probably , so fumes shouldn't be a problem. if you get shocked, is it very dangerous? i expect it shouldn't, i dropped 60 amps a 12v and i just felt enough to let go, but then i did it again.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2003 :  11:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well in all the years that I have welded I have never shocked myself, usually you weld with leather gloves...that usually prevents it. Just dont put your toung on the electrodes

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2003 :  2:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got myself once in the wet...Most commercial arc-welders have 40V or so at the electrode to help start the arc.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2003 :  6:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i saw in a movie, the kid hooked a stick welder
up to the water facet, and the guy got a big shock with sparks and everything. obviously not correct

Go to Top of Page

da-g-dog
Mad Scientist

USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2003 :  6:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit da-g-dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

i saw in a movie, the kid hooked a stick welder
up to the water facet, and the guy got a big shock with sparks and everything. obviously not correct

That was probably Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. If the welder was cranked up high enough, you could get quite a shock. But you're right about the sparks, they probably wouldn't happen.

hike master kyle
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2003 :  8:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well if you stuck the electrodes to a pipe they would just short to the ground

Go to Top of Page

tcd
Apprentice

USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2003 :  03:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]
Can anyone tell me the dangers of arc welding? i know it uses a high temp spark, and the joint will be hot right after you weld, but are their any hidden dangers?

HI , I'm a pipe welder so I can answer from 8 yrs. of eperience; eventhough some of the replys seem pretty accurate. FIRST there are five main types of manual welding, so each one has its own unique inherent dangers.
SMAW is the most common welding procedure. so I'll focus on it.
S M A W : (stick welding)

1. the more your body becomes compatible to a large amount of electron flow , the more of a shock you'll recieve. (eg.YOUR CHLOTHES ARE WET and you're are holding the electrode holder and in physical contact with the work (ground).
Make sure your chlothes and gloves are dry.

2.THE LIGHT from welding is said to be ten times brighter than the sun. Since light is VISIBLE RADIATION , as with other forms of intense radiation ,this light is intense enough to burn the outer layer of the eyes and also the retina. So be sure not to look at the welding arc with out eye protection. A # 10 dark lens is good, but I have seen a #13 used in welding hoods; so use what ever is comfortable with in this parameter.

3.Fumes from welding can contain seriously damaging , and health altering chemicals , which over the long term can cause serious health problems. This danger drastically increases while welding on paint,rust,dirt, galvanized steel, oil, etc. TO PROTECT YOUR SELF, under normal circumstances you don't need a respirator. One only needs to : limit time exposed to fumes to only a few hours a day, and weld perferably outside, with the wind blowing the smoke and fumes away from the one who's welding.

4. Welding is a craft, an art, and a coveted skill. Any one attempting to weld needs to know what a quality weld is with intentions of replicating this quality in all work to be done. I know the above statement sounds a bit much... except .. until someone gets hurt because of a faulty weld not holding up due to excessive undercut,lack of fusion,improper welding temperature, porosity, and insufficient penetration. Until you are comfortable and can control these flaws well enough,be skeptical of the weldment until you're sure it'll hold.The responsibility is yours!

BONUS : Welded metal is hot and can cause serious burns . Duhhh. Most alloys exhibit a bright orange or a dark red color after it has been heated to ,or close to it's melting point. however aluminum gives no visual indication of it's temp.You can weld and weld but ,besides the soot left by the exstinguished arc, there's no coloration due to intense heat. So be CAREFUL.!

I HOPE THIS INFO HELPS !

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2003 :  4:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
than k you , i will only weld outside, and use a smal unit for smal things. the site aaron showed me has diagrams and everything for proper welding, an i will probaly take a class and ill bnuold a grill or two for practice

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000