chat room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2003 :  12:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
every one can chat on my web site about electronics and whatever at

http://www.geocities.com/edwardselectronics/index.html

then click chat.

We have the gift to build what we want.

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2003 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to be mean, but you have no content on your site. What do you expect people to chat about?

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2003 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
to chat about what they talk about here. of course.i can get you a chat room if you like.
all you have to do is post the button on the first page of this forum.

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2003 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
But anyway. i just started yesterday night, and i had problems with the frames. I dont use HTML hardly at all. I used to WYSIWYG editors

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2003 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's really OK. I don't want a chat room, and if I did, I could simply program it myself. Nice to have the server in my basement.

Personally, I hate chats. Just a bunch of kids all yelling at each other, no one actually listening.

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2003 :  12:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, i know what you mean. Also you know how to program a chat room? How.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2003 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"How?" is a very loaded question. It's pretty hard to explain how to program something without just actually programming it...However, it would basically revolve around a database, which would store 100 chat posts. As a new post was made, it would be added to the bottom of the database, and the top entry would be deleted. Those 100 posts would then be simply fed to an HTML page that refreshed every 10 seconds. The chat would be "stateless", meaning that the username chosen would simply be stored in a variable that is saved in a field on the page and passed to the server with every post...

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2003 :  5:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
REFRESHED EVERY TEN SECONDS! what about the poor people with dial up? 00
,--,

next stop: nobel prize winner!
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2003 :  12:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that would be pretty hard on my connection. what if you were to have a java script that would take a text sent to your server and send it to the people that are connected. Even better would be to send it directly to the ip addresses of connected users

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2003 :  3:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
10 seconds is nothing. It would be a simple flat HTML page (no images) that is about 10K in size (if that). If your connection has a problem refreshing every 10 seconds with a 10K file....well, I won't say it.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2003 :  5:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you would be suprised. i usualy ave a min of 3 explorer windows open at a time

next stop: nobel prize winner!
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2003 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how having more browser windows open would effect it. For example, go to the Electronics section home page and hit refresh. That's about the size of the chat page. A few K every 10 seconds is fine. One of the chats I used to use years ago (5 to 6) did this, and that was in the era of 9600 baud modems...

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2003 :  9:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I saw a chat run ran by Flash. Only the text area will refresh like every 3 seconds.

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2003 :  01:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can probably password protect the chat for the non-whiny type people. but again NVM

I'm just an officer doing his job. Dont get a ticket.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2003 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hate Flash. And there's absolutely no reason to use it for a chat room...

But as I mentioned, I will most likely not be setting one up. Chat is nearly useless.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000