Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Virus
Apprentece

19 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2003 :  2:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Aaron,

I'm anxious to see what kind of cars/go-karts or any other vehicle you plan on making this summer, if any. Anyways, keep us posted because you make very interesting things.

Jeff

Edited by - Virus on Jun 30 2003 04:27:18 AM

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2003 :  3:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am concentrating on rebuilding the engine in my '86 RX-7, so it is doubtfull that anything else will be done this summer. I have very little time nowadays for extra projects.

However, I am currently finishing an electric folding Razor-style scooter. Hope to have it done sometime next week assuming I get some parts back from the machine shop on time. I'll post a little info on the forum, but you'll have to wait until I update the site for whole story.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just found this topic searching for something else, so I figured I would update....

I hope to have the engine for the RX-7 built by late March. Currently waiting on a few parts, then I need to start porting the housings. The actual assembly should take very little time (3 hours). So I would imagine the car will be on the road by June or July.

Then, I want to start building a chopper. I have always been interested in motorcycles, and now that I have the spare parts and money, I can do something about it. First I need to get my license, but that's no big deal. I'll be basing the bike on whatever frame I can find cheaply, and use a Mazda 12A rotary engine with a custom transmission to drive it...Should be very interesting.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could have a machine shop build a totally costom frame, but that woud cost quite a bit.

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all of those motorcycle showes seem to just use stock ones. as a matter of fact just about all of them are the same except for the custom details. It really doesnt look that hard to build one either, if you have the tools

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How big is that roatary? Where might I get one if at all possible?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the frames I have seen from chopper shops are so expensive that it's laughable....For example, Orange County wants $7000 US for a soft tail frame...I literally broke out laughing on the phone...Did not impress Paul Sr. After that, I didn't even bother calling somewhere else...I can only guess what West Coast, Gasoline Alley, etc. would charge...

I could custom make a frame as it doesn't seem difficult, but it seems more logical to just modify an existing frame. That way, it's not technically (under the law) a "new" vehicle...If I use an old Harley frame, I can still register it under a Harley and avoid a LOT of hassle.

As for the rotary, it's fairly compact. The 12A is about 18 to 20 inches long, and roughly the roundness of a large bucket. Certainly bigger then a V-twin, but not huge like a V8 (see http://www.bosshosscycles.com .... ).

What's great about the rotary is that it's compact, spins to 8000RPM, is INSANELY LOUD and has a flat torque curve. Oh, and I happen to have an extra one in my garage. I plan to convert to EFI, and make a custom transmission out of the stock RX-7 bellhousing (using all stock clutch parts) and a standard 6 speed motorcycle tranny...

Getting a rotary engine is fairly easy. You can hit up the wrecking yards, but you'll pay a premium. Easiest thing is to find a wrecked RX-7, or one that's rotted and is selling cheap...I've bought entire cars, complete with working engines for $500 before.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  5:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool, you talked to Paul Sr.

I am liking Rotary engine alot more lately because of this site. Flat power curve, fast, and loud. what else more coud you want!

How fuel efficent is the small rotary?

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats cool that you talked to them, but i would imagine them to be pretty expensive. on the show though it looks like they buy their frames from someone else.

as for engines im still waiting for that turbojet to come my way

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2004 :  10:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, Paul Sr. is just a guy like anyone else. He just happens to be on TV as well. Their business is bikes, not TV (well, maybe that is reversing). But that doesn't excuse the prices...

There are very few small rotary engines available. For a motorcycle, I wouldn't waste time with any of them...I'd go right to the RX-7 engine...Maybe the twin-turbo 13B REW if I was insane (more so).

Efficiency is like any other gas engine...low.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2004 :  01:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking around on their site, and their frames were like 2-3 thousand

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2004 :  10:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the stretched soft tail. Right around 7K (unless it's not on the site?).

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2004 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I woud try a Tesla turbine powered vechile with a steam boiler on the back! That woud be interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2004 :  5:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That would certainly be a good experiment, but not really practical transportation.

Go to Top of Page

Chamkeeper
Mad Scientist

278 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2004 :  12:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron,
I was going to comment on my experience riding a motorcycle with a longitudally mounted engine. I rode a Motoguzzi around the mid-western US for a couple weeks MANY years ago, the crank was parallel to the bike frame. During hard cornering, a tweak of the throttle would create issues with the torque from the motor twisting the bike into or out of the turn. I've heard the bosshog's have issues with this too. If you're transverse mounting the engine then no issues, just something to bear in mind during potential design changes.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2004 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good info...The only problem with transversly mounting a rotary is the gyroscope effect caused by the rotors...Since the 12A has very little torque, I doubt it will be much of an issue...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000