Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Neodymium Magnets-Wow

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - Feb 04 2004 : 06:19:57 AM
I just got my first of them rare-earth magnets about a week ago, and wow are them suckers strong! If I'd have know they were so strong, I would have went out awhile ago and bought a bunch just to play with! You can do some really interesting things with them, and they are still so small. I've been wanting to coat mine with something that prevents rust, but can't figure it out, I can't paint them, and I haven't thought of anything other than silicone, which would probably reduce the magnetic field too much, or buying them nickel plated to prevent the rust. But my already bought magnets would still be left to rust! Any ideas on how to rust proof them?
TH160

Life's stories don't write themselves--
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cirvin Posted - Mar 04 2004 : 8:43:03 PM
Rustoleum spray paint?

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Kale Posted - Mar 04 2004 : 5:51:25 PM
If it's going to be contacting the skin then use gold; it won't react to human sweat and body oils.
As for the weather station, pretty much whatever should work as long as the magnet doesn't get drenched in salt water constantly.

n/a Posted - Feb 20 2004 : 10:56:30 PM
Sorry for the delay. The one use is in a weather device that will be used outside, in possibly snow, rain, extreme heat, and cold. The other is medical related, and possibly in constant contact with skin. It's not going to be taped to your forehead, like I said earlier, that was just an example. Thanks!
TH160

BEatonNo1 Posted - Feb 16 2004 : 3:16:19 PM
what do you plan to use these for? finding a coating that matches the use is the best way to go about this. getting It chromed or galvanized or plastic coated will be much more durable than using thin gold foil. those coatings will be just as resistant to most situations as gold.

n/a Posted - Feb 15 2004 : 05:54:08 AM
So does gold last shorter or long than nickel or chrome? The extra price for the gold is all right, it's not that much. I am about to buy a large ceramic magnet, 6 3/4" x 4", from Magnetic Arts (http://www.magneticarts.net) it is magnetized
parallel to thickness. I was looking at the chart on their site, and wanted to make sure I understood it properly. Parallel to thickness means that one 6x4" surface is north and the other 6x4" surface is south, right? Thanks all!
TH160

BEatonNo1 Posted - Feb 13 2004 : 12:37:14 PM
I would use nickle or chrome or something like that, its cheaper. if you want something durable though, just coat it with a plastic. it wont rust, its UV tolorant, and resistant to alot of chemicals

n/a Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 9:55:27 PM
I know that solid gold wouldn't rust or anything like that, but since the magnets are plated, wouldn't the gold come off? Kind of like a cheap gold ring. Since it's not solid gold, the gold eventually rubs off on someones finger. TH160

BEatonNo1 Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 6:18:10 PM
yeah, if it was electroplated or something like that.

Kale Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 5:34:53 PM
Huh. That's nifty. I had a science teacher tell me that part of his gold ring was dissolved by mercury. Maybe the mercury just lifted off the gold?

BEatonNo1 Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 2:49:56 PM
I think the gold would come off of the magnets before the gold would actually react with anything. dont soak it in cyanide because that will disolve it. as for the mercury, it doesnt desolve it, but there is a strong attraction (kind of like self cohesion, but with the noble metals). thats why when your gold panning you use the mercury to get your flakes out then you strain the mercury through a cheesecloth to get it back.

Kale Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 11:24:26 AM
Gold is pretty non-reactive. It doesn't degrade inside or outside a human body, it doesn't rust, and it doesn't corrode. That's why it's so popular. The only thing off hand I know that will hurt it is mercury; gold dissolves in mercury.
It would be pretty funny taped to your forhead, but your sweat and body oils wouldn't hurt it. Just remember that if you put your head down on a desk to take a quick power nap that you might snag some paperclips.

n/a Posted - Feb 12 2004 : 06:12:03 AM
How long would the gold plate on one of these magnets last if it were sat outside in the elements? How about if you taped one of them to your forehead, and then walked around all day, all long would the plate last then? No plans to do it, but it would be good to know how long they last being in contact with your skin.
TH160

Kale Posted - Feb 10 2004 : 10:17:01 PM
Duck tape is actually a brand name.
Duct tape is the aluminum shiney stuff used to patch and join air ducts.
The grey stuff commonly called 'Duct Tape' is also called 100 MPH tape because it was used in formula 1 racing: Pit crews would often use it to keep damaged parts from falling off the car if there wasn't time for a full repair. 3M makes the strongest formulation that I know of.

cirvin Posted - Feb 10 2004 : 8:24:24 PM
isnt duct tape and duck tape 2 different kinds of tape?

Duct tape - for air ducts
Duck tape - everything else

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Kale Posted - Feb 10 2004 : 5:19:12 PM
Actually there's a couple different kinds of duct tape. One type is shiney aluminum foil, which is conductive. The more common grey type that most people are used to is not conductive. On actual duct work you usually see the aluminum type.
Either way, it will not affect your magnetic field to any noticeable degree.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000