Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Electronics
 Basic Electronics
 Plugging in headphones to activate a switch?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dyer13
Apprentece

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Dyer13 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I recently installed an auxiliary output in my friend's record player using a standard 1/8" phone (headphone) jack. The sound still plays through the built-in speakers, so I am going to install a switch to cut off the signal going to the speakers so he can just flip the switch when he wants to use the auxiliary output without the sound also coming out of the (terrible) built-in speakers.

I was just wondering if it is possible, or if there is an easy way, to make it so that when you plug in a male phone jack (headphones, patch cord, etc) it switches something so the internal speakers are disabled, and then re-enables them once you unplug the phone jack.

KMoffett
Apprentece

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  09:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a stereo jack that has "switched" contacts (figure D):http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Phone_jack_symbols.png
If you numbered figure D's contacts from 1 to 5, top to bottom:
1 Left amp output
2 Left speaker input
3 Right speaker input
4 Right amp output
5 Common
A source: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/161-352W-C-EX/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuYaq4aOfOV%252bF1UfDasWOVW
I think Radio Shack may carry them, but their online catalog is useless on details.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Dyer13
Apprentece

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  5:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Dyer13 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, Thanks. I figured something like this existed, I just didn't know where to look or what they were called. This helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000