Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boron
Mad Scientist

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have a bike that I've been riding pretty often this summer and a while ago it started making this odd noise. Initially I just ignored it as an annoyance but its starting to drive me crazy.

It's a weird sort of metallic clanging noise that seems to occur toward the front wheel. It has no real pattern and seems to occur at random intervals and with random intensity but only when a load is applied. (when I ride it)

Initially I thought it might be loose spokes or something rubbing, so I tightened two loose spokes that I found. That may have been a bad idea, because I know now that that could distort the shape of the wheel, but I checked and the wheel is still relatively circular and in line. I found small deformations in the front and back wheels but I don't think its that serious, just occured over time.

After that I also tried lubing up the cross over points of the spokes. Some of them do make noise when I squeeze pairs (a few even after lube) of them with my fingers which sounds kinda like a quieter version of the problematic noise. Just in case, I also completely loostened the front brake to make sure that wasn't it.

After all that I still have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it. If its those few spokes that are making noise, despite my lubricating them, how can I stop that annoying noise? What else could be the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can test the spokes by plucking them like a string. Do they rattle?

Odds are that the front hub has lost a ball bearing or two. Or that the fork bearing is loose or has acquired slop and is now rubbing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000