Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Virus
Apprentece

19 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2003 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a circuit that will purposely explode any electrolytic capacitor? I hear they are very susceptible to being blown up.

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

191 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2003 :  9:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are you trying to do? a king of bomb?
I tell you dont explode capacytor, it's very dangerous.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

61 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2003 :  10:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW What were you trying to do with your big monster motor Ben? A kind of explosion huh?I tought you were in trouble with such a big motor... Glad to see you back :)

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2003 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All you have to do is connect it backwards to twice it's rated voltage. BE CAREFUL!

Go to Top of Page

Virus
Apprentece

19 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2003 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,

For your information, my friends and I are making a movie and one of the special effects requires an explosive device. Since most small (firecrackers) explosives are illegal in canada i can only rely on using electrolytics. What's the special effect you wonder? The bloodpack...commonly seen when someone gets shot in a movie.

Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2003 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't recommend using capacitors for this. They weren't meant to explode, and tend to throw metal flakes and chemicals around. Plus, the voltages required to get a good bang are pretty dangerous in the presence of moisture.

Aside from going to a special effects supplier for squibs, use small "black cat" type firecrackers. They're easy to find in Canada if you know where to loook.

Compresses air could be another option.

Springs?

Go to Top of Page

Virus
Apprentece

19 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2003 :  2:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I guess your right Aaron, capacitors can be dangerous. I tried it with a 100uFd 16v Capacitor. I hooked it up backwards in a series circuit and after a minute or so the thing blew. It really blew, my whole room was filled with smoke and my brother could hear the explosion from outside. The cap was a small one too, about 7.5mm in diameter and about 15mm tall. I think I figured out a different way. *If* I can find black cats, but I doubt it because everything is illegal in Canada, I can use a small signal diode (1N914 or similar), a low wattage type and hook it up in series with 4 Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. I tested it and I found out that the diode created *enormous* amounts of heat and burned out in 7-10 seconds or so. This is perfect for attaching to a black cat to be used in a bloodpack. Also you can coat the diode leads and firecracker in wax to make it waterproof. As you said, Aaron, there are many ways to make this special effect possible and I think this would be the best way. It's safer to use an "electrical match" than use chemical capacitors.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2003 :  10:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have some friends here who were making a similar divice except that they used air. they had the "pack" attached to plastic tube like what is used in fish tanks. the tube was then run down through the pants of the actor and then it was unnoticeable as it ran along the ground.
this may method may prove easier to aquire all of the parts

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3451 Posts

Posted - May 06 2003 :  7:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it helps if you just directly short a capicator directly across the power supply, I've done that with talumtam cap before, not very fun though, i got a small burn on my thumb doing that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

15 Posts

Posted - May 23 2003 :  1:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i do love the old exploding capacitor
put 20 volts through a 10 volt capacitor and stand back
it makes our electronic lessons much more fun

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2003 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if your gunna make a movie, get a paintball gun w/ red paintballs.

Go to Top of Page

Virus
Apprentece

19 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2003 :  01:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only one word to say... Ow.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2003 :  9:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
with real pain, it makes the effect more real. you could put a regulator on the co2 can for softer shots,

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2003 :  11:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
paintballs dont hurt that bad...just turndown the velocity on the gun. However, if its going to slow then theyll just bounce off and then youll have to go through it all over again.

As for the red paintballs, I have yet to see any

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2003 :  11:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Go to the best store in the world. Wal-Mart! you can fing alot of paintball stuff there

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2003 :  12:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as for the best store ever, I can hardly agree.
and like I said I've yet to see any...walmart included. I know that you can order them off of 888 paintball

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000