Lounge
 help plz!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Josh

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2005 :  7:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone no where ill find something hot enough to melt diamond?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2005 :  09:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The sun?

Apparently, a diamond melts at 1687 Kelvin, which is around 2576.93 degrees Fahrenheit. That's not extraordinarily hot. You can get those temperatures out of an oxy-acetylene torch, arc welder, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Chamkeeper
Mad Scientist

278 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2005 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question of purpose comes to mind.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  02:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
diamond burns, so youll have to do it in an evacuated chamber depending on its combustion temp.

Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2005 :  05:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good lord! You're wanting to melt diamond! I've truthfully never heard of that. Why do you wanna do that for? If diamond burns I wouldn't want to be near it. You don't know what to expect. I'm not that good with atoms; could I call diamond high density glass? My imagination is going crazy hear. Maybe it'll pop like pop-corn when burned. LOL

J.C.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2005 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Diamond is just carbon, so it will just burn like anything else.

Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2005 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok then Aaron thankyou.

J.C.
Go to Top of Page

Alessandro
Apprentece

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2005 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dimonds won't melt they will sublime, like dryice.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2005 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how do they coat stuff with it then?

Go to Top of Page

yo_tyler
Apprentice

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2005 :  11:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit yo_tyler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. to melt diamond you will need to make a mini elctric forge. make a small cube with a hollow center out of fire brick. get some carbon electrodes, and a 80amp PSU.(arc welder) put one carbon electrode on each side of the cube, with a small gap between. place the diamond in the gap between the electrodes. attach the welder, and ZZap that diamond. it might work (it will get hot enough, but diamond will burn).
2. why on earth would you want to melt diamond???
3. isn't diamont a little pricey to be melting?
4. thay coat stuff by grinding the diamond into dust, and glueing it.

"I reject to reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  1:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Diamond is a crystal, so it's not exactly easy to handle.
It's not like glass at all.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2005 :  2:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know how its done for cutting applications, but have you seen where they put a thin film on a surface for berings and other low friction applications?
I there is also a watch in popular science that is coated

Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2005 :  03:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they put diamond on those massive drills that bore holes in the earth.

J.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  4:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Crystals can be 'grown' directly onto surfaces. It involves blasting a chemical soup vapor at a surface under very tightly controled conditions in a vaccuum chamber. The chemical vapors start to coat the surface and self-arrange into the crystal structure.

Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2005 :  05:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
COOL! This is very interesting.

J.C.
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2005 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some diamond deposition links:

http://staff.aist.go.jp/f.tappero/diamond.html

http://www.cvd.louisville.edu/Research/Diamond%20CVD/Diamond.htm

http://cabernet.esprit.ec.org/esp-syn/text/6106.html

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000