Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

jecjec

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  02:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi audioguru,

Thanks for ur precaution otherwise my inverter will be history.what about 1/4 Hp at 200 watts and i will be using variac at 500watts to start the motor.I tried it for a while luckily my inverter survive but my car battery drain so quikly,what size of battery suit my inverter that would run at least for a while to process my crops.

Go to Top of Page

moody
Mad Scientist

USA
326 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  8:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit moody's Homepage  Send moody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ive seen this post grow over time but never had to read this because ive never had to read the 12 to 120V 1,000 Watt converter...untill now

im trying to run a saw or something from the power of my car...this saw must be able to cut metal from the scrap yards.

i was thinking the following tools to run
bandsaw (portable)
sawzall

my question is...
is this 12 -120v inverter worth making?

i was looking at this inverter which will get to about $100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vector-1000-Watt-Power-Inverter-VEC049C_W0QQitemZ5795949758QQcategoryZ85805QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If i buy all the parts for this inverter project will i end up spending $100
if thats true than ill just buy the ebay one

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage (Myth busters)
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  11:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This project's inverter doesn't work. Buy that good one.

Go to Top of Page

moody
Mad Scientist

USA
326 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  12:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit moody's Homepage  Send moody an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sure will

thanks

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage (Myth busters)
Go to Top of Page

plutonium233
Apprentece

16 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello World,
I have followed this thread for a while, and I just want to offer some suggestions. Firstly, listen to what audioguru says. From the viewpoint of a double E, I agree with his analysis of the circuit. His modifications should have fixed many of the problems with the circuit; however, the circuit has inherent inefficiencies. For you all who need a powerful inverter, they sell 5kW models for a decent price (around 500 american dollars) and most of them are more than 90% efficient which is more than I can say for some of the circuits I've seen here. I use two, more expensive syncable units with some extra bells and whistles in a ups configuration for a backup on most of the circuits (such as my home automation system/av/security, lights, and most everything else) in my home until my 20kW Cummins can start up. As for batteries, all you really need to do is parallel a bank of deep cycle batts. Some prefer to use two 6v batteries in series instead of 12v batteries when doing this because of the increased power density. I used 12v for mine because I had a great source of them. It also seems that many of the people in here need a good solid course on thermodynamics !!! As audioguru mentioned before, you can't get something from nothing, and you can't keep converting from one type of energy to another. It gets more and more inefficient, especially with poorly designed circuits. Study this deltaE = q + w. It is a basic idea of whats going on. If you put 100 watts into a closed system and get only 80 watts back out as useable work energy, then guess what. 20 watts turned into heat energy. I guess some could argue that they use the heat to heat their home... no need to run a heater on the inverter I guess.. HaHa.

Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  8:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Plutonium.
Ha, ha. and thanks.
On another forum many frustrated people argued about this "inverter" project and asked to have it deleted. They also discovered that a 500W inverter project also didn't work and I helped them fix it.

Go to Top of Page

electroman2000
Apprentece

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit electroman2000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi to all,well i am new here but i have already build the 500W inverter and has been using it to power my garage for about a year now! it works perfect and when i tested i found that it could reach almost 700w if the transformer has a relative large secondary and the transistors used are 2n6050.the best is to use 2n5886 rated 25a which are more than enough for battery power.well i have pictures for you to see how i build it and how i seperated the two heat sinks using them as sides of the case! this is my website adress of my built inverter with pics of construction: http://inverter500.blogspot.com/ leave comments if you need help in construction i am pleased to be of help.

Go to Top of Page

electroman2000
Apprentece

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  05:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit electroman2000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

hi to all,well i am new here but i have already build the 500W inverter and has been using it to power my garage for about a year now! it works perfect and when i tested i found that it could reach almost 700w if the transformer has a relative large secondary and the transistors used are 2n6050.the best is to use 2n5886 rated 25a which are more than enough for battery power.well i have pictures for you to see how i build it and how i seperated the two heat sinks using them as sides of the case! this is my website adress of my built inverter with pics of construction: http://inverter500.blogspot.com/ leave comments if you need help in construction i am pleased to be of help.

Go to Top of Page

electroman2000
Apprentece

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit electroman2000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

well as already said by others,im going to say this especially for newbies in the subject,there exists no action without an equal opposite reaction,and when transforming energy from one source into another you have to pay the costs of wastes such as heat,noise(humming of transformer which is part of the losses),and so on,so it is impossible to create energy from nothing,you cant demand 100w of power and get 101w,as it is a basic law of physics that there are forces opposing each other in our universe so any unstationary movement is opposed by other forces which could be defined as wastes.

Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  06:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A properly designed circuit uses a few more parts than this one to reduce loss and reduce waste.

Go to Top of Page

Jman

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  6:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you get the 68 uf tantalum capacitor from?

Joshua Bardin
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  7:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said before, if the capacitors were turned around so they have the correct polarity, and a diode was added in series with each transistor's base to prevent each transistor from having avalanche breakdown of the reverse-biased base-emitter junction which causes a huge current in each capacitor, then any type of capacitor can be used without exploding. If those changes were made and the transistors have gain far more than their guaranteed minimum, then the project might get 50W of output.

Go to Top of Page

arshad

Iraq
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  1:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiiii gentle men .. i am asking for 12v to 220 inverter circuits .if any one has it please sent it to my email arshad_alsalihi84@yahoo.com
thanks

alsalihi
Go to Top of Page

Jman

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just use a transformer to step up the voltage from 120 VAC to 220 VAC. Use the schematic that is on this page.

Joshua Bardin
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  1:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why make a 120V inverter then add another transformer to step-up the voltage to 220V?
Just use a 220V transformer for the inverter in the 1st place.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000