A passion for all things electronic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
DELETED (Inactive)

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  9:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post as I have just found this site. I am thinking about linking to it from my own site. I have been fascinated with electrical, electronic, and computerized things since I was about 12 years of age.

I once downloaded a cassette based "basic" program over the telephone line from a friends radio (connected directly to the phone with a device I fabricated) to my Tandy CoCo (also connected directly to the phone----the same way), the thing was that is was all done "without" the use of a modem.

I took a Texas Instruments computer and programmed it to play through the tv speaker, the corrisponding tones for placing a telephone call (the tv speaker connected directly to the telephone handset).

When I first acquired my Tandy CoCo ($20 at a pawn shop), it did not come with any books, paperwork, or any information at all. I improvised-----I wrote a small "basic" program to pull the entire basic vocabulary from it's rom chip so that I could write more sophisticated programs.

Now, this might all seem a bit "old school" at this point, but I was quite young and was doing the best I could.

I also spent a bit of time and money at RadioShack and buying electronics magazines for information and example circuit schematics. Through all this, I learned about the digital aspect of 1's and 0's.

Now, I know how to build computers as I have built my own and I'm starting to build another. I have my own website.....a dot com. I still have an interest in solid state electronics and still create things as the need arises. My learning continues.

My opinion:
Too few people really understand how computers work. This creates a void that blackhat hackers and virus writers tend to take advantage of. Too many people view computer as toys to be "played" with. The virtual world of computers is not going to go away so the best advise I can give is learn. Knowledge is power. All to often, what you don't know can hurt you. You have to do it yourself, it does not work if you have others do it for you. Although, the wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

This site is great......

(Edit...Move to Lounge)

Edited by - Aaron Cake on Jan 22 2004 10:06:53 AM

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  11:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well glad to have you onboard. alot of the projects you mentioned sound pretty interesting. the first one in particular sounds similar to some of the current posts.

Also, whats the matter with viewing computers as toys to be played with....

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome.

I definitely agree with your last statement, but it applies to nearly everything. People live in a world of black boxes. To the average person, their car runs as if by magic. They have no hope of understanding how a television, computer or even a doorbell works.

It's funny, because the impression that I get is back in "the day" (early 1900s), everyone had at least some mechanical and technical knowledge. Modern tech was so new that you HAD to know how to fix things. Now, we have moved to a world of distributed ignorance...

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  5:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hello!

I second that. I was watching Terminator 3 (a truely awsome movie) and they seemed to do things half assed. For example, the scene in witch the bad robot is controlling the cars. They at least realized that there are computers in cars, but they cant control stering!
Another example is in the particle accelerator scene. They realized that particle accelerators have large electromagnets and the bad robot and all the weapons got sucked to it, but none of the metal buttons, zippers, or clips of ammo in their pockets was effected! But it was a good movie anyway.

Do you have any plans or schematics of how you did the download of the program without a modem?

http://daxter12.topcities.com
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  09:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just to nit pick, technically there are cars with servo driven power steering. My Insight is an example. It has an electric power steering rack that is fully computer controller. It is theoretically possible for the computer to drive the car...

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
These where standard Ford Queen Vicotria crusers. (I think that is the right car...)

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2004 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that could make for some interesting projects.
put a distance sensor on the front, and a camera with some smart software to follow lines and you could let go of the steering wheel for extended periods of time

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2004 :  08:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BEatonNo1, that is an excellent idea. All those car companies are working to implement GPS and all those high tech goodies into automated cars when all they need is a microcontroller and some paint. I'm sure there are reasons for not using line tracers tho.

Go to Top of Page

YS
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2004 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit YS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. For example: you are sitting back, watching movie while your car is driven by that system at very safe speed of 60 mph. Now, for some reason, it looses the guiding line.. How long it will take to crash? And how much time do you need to understand the situation and regain the control? The answer is: it varies. But the risk is too high..

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2004 :  10:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You woud obviosly have safeguards souch as if it looses the line, it woud sound an alarm, turn manual steering on and then slow the car down.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2004 :  10:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Self driving cars scare me...Of course, human driven cars scare me as well. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I trust a computer more then I trust 99% of drivers out there...

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2004 :  01:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah some simple automation system wouldnt be safe for an entire trip....i was thinking more for those situations where you needed both hands for something else. I would definantly trust the computer over my knee and one eye

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2004 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would definantly trust the computer over my knee and one eye

?????

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2004 :  7:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
like if your trying to eat and drive at the same time. your eating with one eye and driving with the other

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2004 :  10:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, i thought you had one leg and one eye. lol

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2004 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice. lmfao!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000