Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kevinloh
Apprentice

Brunei
121 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2003 :  7:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mentioned a filter cpapacitor. What does the filter capacitor does? And the transformer is mounted on plastic I'm worried that it would melt if it is connected to a car battery.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2003 :  10:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Filter capacitor just smooths the pulsing DC from the bridge rectifier into continuous DC.

As for the heat issue, you will have to be the judge.

Go to Top of Page

Auterium

42 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2003 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that u should get to know is that every car battery(no matter if it is lead acid or gel) is that htey charge from 2 to 6 amp/hr.
Only if the manufacturer of the battery says so, then the charging amperage should be different. As for what i know only the liquid carbon batteries can be charged over 6 amp/hr. Actually thet charge at 35 amp/hr.
Maybe the charger might be getting too hot because, as the battery can't take much more than certain amperage, the rest of it is transformed to heat.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2003 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You know, a battery can be charged at any current as long as you can control the temperature. It's not recommended, but done all the time...I can charge the 20AH pack on my scooter in under an hour, but at that point, the batteries are uncomfortably hot so I have to let them cool befure I can use it. Electric drag racers use "dump packs" to recharge 50 or 100AH 300V packs in about 10 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

kevinloh
Apprentice

Brunei
121 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  12:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a 80A charger it cost US$279.00. Do you think it could charge a 40Ah car battery in less than an hour or will the battery boils like crazy?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It will charge the battery very quickly, but at the cost of cycle life. Of course, you shouldn't be cycling a car battery anyway, so it probably doesn't matter...

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2004 :  12:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
There are chips that do a fast charge up to ~%80 of maximum and then slow to trickle for the remaining ~20% claiming that this is better for the battery. Is this true?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000