Sand Rail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2003 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have $1000 that I can borrow

someones selling it for 1800...Ive been dreaming about having one

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2003 :  11:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess every one is in the same poor state I am

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2003 :  01:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
what exacly is a sand rail. I heard of it and/ or probably forgot.

Edward, A. Williams Jr.
Have a Problen with that?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2003 :  09:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Google -> Sand rail

Sorry, no money to give away. However, it seems rather easy to make one. A little steel tubing, suspension from a donor car, and of course a 13B rotary to power the sucker. Should be doable for $1000 with heavy scrounging. The only bank-breaker will be the wheels/tires.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2003 :  5:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no i think it would be closer to 2000 build a cheezy one...If i could find an old VW bug id go at it. as for the rotary engine, that would be sweet.

Ive been looking for either an RX-7 or turbo supera (preferably rx-7) or VW. for my next big project. but the dune buggy would be alot more fun especially out at the farm, and backroading

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  09:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, $2000 seems like alot...

Donor car: $50 or free.
Metal tubing: $500, less if scrounged
Misc: $300-$400

Obviously, we're talking about heavily scrounging things...Since I have extra rotary engines hanging around, that is one of the "free" parts for me.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2003 :  5:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah see If I had a car I could use I would have already built something like this. this one had power something...I didn't look. Actually, now that I think about it, it was probably the brake fluid resivor. it had a pretty odd design for a sand rail...well it wasnt really for sand, more for offroading

Edited by - beatonno1 on Sep 30 2003 5:26:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2003 :  3:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago my grandfather built one out of an old VW Bug he hauled out of a scrap yard. It was pretty basic but it was a lot of fun to crash through the woods with.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2003 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah thats about what Im looking for...around here, we go camping on the weekends and for fun we jump the terraces in fallow fields...its pretty fun but its hell on my shocks. plus it would be fun to take to Colorado

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2003 :  4:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Jack the suspension up and put heavy truck tires on the thing.
On a related note, there was a mercedies benz chassis attached to a monster truck frame at an autobody shop near my old place. It also had the old 1970's style police lights on the top! Pretty wild.

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2003 :  7:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have some pretty heavy duty all terrain tires on my truck. However, I dont want to raise it because it would raise my center of balance. Seeings how I also enjoy backroading, I really like the manuverability on my frontier and I would hate to loose it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000