Who's On AOL?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2003 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone on AOL/Netscape mail has probably noticed that forum email notifications don't work. The reason is that AOL is rejecting all mail from my domain because they have deemed it to be a source of spam. Yeah, right. Any help in solving this problem from an AOL subscriber would be appreciated. In your experience, would contacting technical support help?

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2003 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
they should be able to disable spam. But that will bring in real spam

I'm just an officer doing his job. Dont get a ticket.
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2003 :  1:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably what happened is that someone who was getting email notification pressed the report spam button on one of your mails. I'll see what I can find out Aaron

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2003 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well I talked to two different people and I was told that you need to call the number on the mail that is sent back to you. or go to the website thats listed

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  10:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

they should be able to disable spam. But that will bring in real spam

Yeah, thanks.

quote:

well I talked to two different people and I was told that you need to call the number on the mail that is sent back to you. or go to the website thats listed

Hm, there isn't a phone number provided in the bounce message. However, after spending 2 hours searching the useless postmaster website, I believe I have found the phone number...

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Talked to AOL's support. This issue will not be resolved.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  3:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you could make a special area on the forum or a post page for those less fortunate AOLers to reive news..

next stop: nobel prize winner!
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  3:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what happened...I would think that all you would need to do is explain to them the situation and then you would be off the list

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  5:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's not that simple. They are requiring certain things that to be set up that I cannot do. As the "little guy", I don't have control of things such as my reverse DNS entries, and I cannot choose my IP address range. So it will not be fixed.

It's not much skin off my back as no one I know is on AOL, and my 99% of the people on AOL that win my eBay auctions don't pay anyway...

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2003 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im on aol, but I dont use the Email options (obviously)

What types of items do you sell Aaron

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2003 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
AOL is good for getting connectivity (if that's what you can call it) anywhere. Not much else. I just find it funny how AOL has basically compromised a large part of the Internet. Not just this email hassle, but flooding the Internet with users who can't even program their own VCRs...It should be up to the USERS to decide what email they want to get, not the ISP. I am blocked because AOL has abritrarily blocked all IP addresses assigned to "dial up" ranges according to ARIN. Since I use a cable modem, I seem to fall into this catagory. They will not unblacklist me. They want my ISP to call them, set up the reverse DNS entries, and confirm that I am not a spammer. Yeah, that'll happen because Rogers Cable is just sooooo helpful....Anyway, AOL sucks.

I sell quite a lot of RX-7 parts on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Epsilon!
Mad Scientist

Canada
276 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2003 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People on AOL dont deserve to go on this site.....

I dont't mean to offend anyone.. but its so much hassle to deal with them and their email crap

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2003 :  6:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IM on AOL thank you very much...it has ifs benifits

I just check the site every day instead of using email notification

Go to Top of Page

Epsilon!
Mad Scientist

Canada
276 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2003 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said... I dint't mean to offend anyone..

I was mearly stating my opinion. It may have benefits, but so much things dont support AOL. I guess you need to be a gamer to realize how useless it is..

I agree with Aaron. I hosted a zone a while back..It was for this old internet game, Subspace. Anyway.. It wasn't really popular but people still played. Every once in a while some AOL users will come in. They lagged so badly the game would boot them. I guess it was because of their proxy stuff. They would get pissed off at me because my zone was so laggy, right.. 'regular' players had a latency of 100-150ms. They would also ruin the fun for the other players because they would spike all over the place. I didn't want to bother with this crap.. The stupid part is that they used it for free. I guess, AOL might be fine for surfing, but what pisses me off is that when they play games, their incompatability ruins fun for others..

Edited by - Epsilon! on Aug 12 2003 7:05:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6718 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2003 :  3:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you could consider AOL the McDonalds of the Internet..,

But anyway, I have ot state that in my experience, 99% of people on AOL are of limited intelligence, and should not be allowed to breed let alone surf the Internet. Obviously, there are exceptions (BEatonNo1).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000