Electrical Engineer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2003 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there any one here that has an EE degree... I am asking because that is what field I am lookin at obtaining a degree in. The problem is that I have heard a lot of people say that the math is attrocious, and I was wondering if it is as bad as they say, or if they were trying to enter a profession they had no intrist in for only the reason of money. Anyho if anyone can give me some information on this field it would be appreciated.

YS
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2003 :  10:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit YS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, there is a lot of math involved in getting EE degree - but that does not mean you will really need it after in your practical work.. Unfortunately math is the most universal tool in technical world - and physics also. But I am sure you can manage it...On other hand, you probably would be spared from the nightmare of chemistry and/or biology..

Go to Top of Page

Nerf Smurf
Mad Scientist

USA
390 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2003 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nerf Smurf's Homepage  Send Nerf Smurf a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, Thats true. I love makeing things so i want to be a Engineer to. I love science but i just hate math. But i make good grades to where i can pass.

We have the gift to build what we want.
Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2003 :  2:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an EE grad who's currently doing graduate studies.
The math is kind of an iffy thing. It's really specialized for what field of electical engineering you want to go into. You always have to get your basic differential equations and calculus down pat, because you will sometimes have to use it no matter what field you get into. Beyond that the math you get into is very field specific. For instance Control Systems requires a lot of control system theory, which is nasty stuff, but can be fun. It's used in robotics and industrial process control. For radio and antenna work you get a lot of Vector Calculus for calculation of EM field lines and stuff. If you get into optics really heavy you need to know Statistics and Probability so you can handle the basics of quantum mechanics which explains how lasers and stranger optical processes work. If you get into computer simulations you'll need Numerical Methods and possibly Linear Algebra.
The thing you need the most is good people skills, a broad mind, and a good work ethic. Expect a lot of homework and reading, and also expect that you will have to teach YOURSELF a lot of this stuff, because the profs are more like guides than teachers. Be prepared to do a lot of research on your own. This is what you would be getting into if you get into EE, but it's very rewarding work and you get to see and experience a lot of neat stuff the general public has no idea about.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2003 :  11:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, most of what I have been able to collect has been from people that have dropped out of the EE program, which is why I was wondering. I think what most of the problem is that alot of the people are doing is choosing an EE field because of the pay and not so much as they are interested in that area.
So far I know that the most advanced math math class is Cal 2, and I have taken Calculus 1 in high school and I didnt have too many problems with it. And so I figured the problems came from the classes like linear circuits, and such, like you said.
Any ways thanks for the info

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2003 :  11:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a lot of people go into engineering because of the money these days. The result is you get a lot of engineer dropouts. I finished my undergrad degree about a year before the tech/comm crash. I enjoyed engineering enough that I decided to stay on for graduate studies. Meanwhile the rest of my class went out into industry to work and make money. A year later, the high-tech market crashed and many of them were layed off. As a result they all came back to grad school. Not only did I have a year's head start on them, but since I joined when the school really needed grad students, I got a bigger piece of funding than the returning guys.
Also, if you might want to subscribe to a magazine like 'Nuts and Volts' or any other technology mag other than Popular mechanics (which blows now: it's full of ads!). I find the circuits and stuff described in the magazine really gets you thinking. It's presented at a technicians' level, so once you have the engineering background knowing these circuits will teach you some of the practical stuff you miss out on in engineering. (Engineering gives you a lot of theory, but it's up to you to learn the practical stuff on your own, usually)
Also, in every EE department there will be a group of electronics technicians who run the labs and such. Become their best friend! Find out what kind of alcohol they drink (and they WILL drink alcohol) and give it to them for Christmas as a gift from your class. Why? Because if they like you, these guys can save your ass so much it's not funny. The often know more than the profs do. Respect their rules and offer to help them with stuff like cleaning up after a lab and things. They will appriciate it, and the kharma will come back around to you.

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2003 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is there a general ee course? one that teaches a little bit of everything?

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2003 :  5:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
No, Electrical Engineering is a degree. The closest you can get without going to university would be a Technician's Diploma, which can be taken at most colleges and usually lasts 2 years. You want a C.E.T. program: Certified Electronics Technician. I think there is also someting called a Technologist, which I think is a bit higher ranking than a technician, but I'm not sure.

Go to Top of Page

Chamkeeper
Mad Scientist

278 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2003 :  02:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the last 15 or so odd years I have worked as a peer to EE's ME's MSE's and my current boss is a P.E.

I don't have any degree, but I know how things work, and when they don't i can fix them. I see the points of improvement, and I can sell them. My point, learn to learn, it's what I have done. It's a damn shame they can't teach common sense and troubleshooting or lots of simple folks would have Ph.Ds.

My $0.02, learn to use what you know, like, Aaron, and by all means have fun....beyond that all those letters are just BS....

Go to Top of Page

cirvin
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1542 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2003 :  11:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Send cirvin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i would probably do the tecnitian thing, along with controll systems/robotics or sound systems. are those valid areas, or are mt guesses wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Kale
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
795 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2003 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kale's Homepage  Send Kale an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of that is self-taught once you have the basics of electronics, which is what a technician or technologist's diploma will give you. You might be able to pick up a course here and there during the diploma program, but other than that, hang around this site more and read magazines!

Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2003 :  01:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im looking at maybe getting into avionic controlls, but I also find RF stuff interesting too. But ive just barely gotten into college so who knows where I'll end up

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000