Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Havnt been on the forum in years!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nerf_Smurf Posted - Feb 05 2010 : 10:04:06 AM
And yet I return with questions! I have my A+ cert and was wondering what else would I need to do to advance in the IT field? Currently I'm in my second year in college for Computer Engineering Technology and I'm also in the Air Force ROTC, and have a scholarship that I can accept. If I accept the scholarship, im stuck in the Airforce for a good 4 years, and that I am OK with. But if I can excel in IT without joining the Air Force, that would be awesome too. I havnt had anyone explain to me how I can continue in the IT field so I'm trying to google as much as I can.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nerf_Smurf Posted - Jun 09 2022 : 10:26:54 PM
Back in 2018, my interest in programming was re-kindled (I initially show interest probably back before i discovered this forum). After hurricane Harvey destroyed our house, I left the school district job, moved to Dallas and started work at another district for a bit more, then in Feb 2021 moved to a much smaller district that paid more. I was thinking that going from doing desktop support for 10 schools, down to 3 would be easy peezy. The work was easy, but the micromanagement made it one of the worse jobs I ever had. I made a couple applications for personal use that made the job easier (including a complete inventory and trouble ticket software that we didnt use) and end up getting a job last month as a full-stack web developer! Took almost 4 years as I was self taught, but I think it was worth! Not making the crazy numbers that people throw out, but pure amount of people trying to get in the field... I would literally apply to 100's of jobs a month. Now that I'm in, I think I'm golden!

To answer the aviation question, it could lead to either one of those. Its kinda like a business degree with a _strong_ focus on aviation. Some of my classmates that I am still cool with now are flight planners and dispatchers (most are in this position), working with FAA, avionic techs (now a manager for MillionAir's avionics department), airside officers (think of that as compliance police on the tarmac, runways, taxiways), and one is in the process of getting his commercial license. None of those really interested me, well maybe being an avionic tech. My buddy makes it sound as if its much easier than desktop support, but I hear him talking about working 50-60 hours a week. Nah, I need me time!

On another note, dude, I learned like 2 days ago that you had a youtube channel and I saw you on camera! Crazy stuff! Well, I'm out! I'll check back in later. Have a good one!
Aaron Cake Posted - Sep 22 2015 : 10:55:57 AM
I'm shocked that there is money to be made in designing/hosting websites. I've thought of doing the same, but while there is money in the design part (amazing what some web designers charge around here for a few hours of customizing a WordPress template!) hosting is a money looser. When all the domain companies are offering hosting for a few dollars a month it's hard to compete. Granted, once one has the server and a connection the major costs are over but amortizing that server over a few years, and $100/month for the connection means that either one must host a lot of $10/month sites (and hope nothing goes wrong hardware wise) or charge a lot more.

Yeah, the forum is still here but seeing orders of magnitude less traffic as before. Why? No idea. Probably because these discussions have moved onto the Facebook and just fewer and fewer are interested in hobbyist electronics.

Without going into too much detail, this site is making a fraction of the money it once did so I feel you. Even though I maintain it, I am now competing with companies like Sparkfun (which is awesome, I order from them occasionally and really enjoy their content).

Aviation management sounds fairly interested. Is that management of maintenance, or management of a fleet from a business perspective?

Getting the pilots license is on my list one day. One day when I don't have any more projects. Like that will happen.
Nerf_Smurf Posted - Sep 16 2015 : 8:49:38 PM
xD 2003! This is amazing, I was just randomly thinking about his forum and its still here! Crazy stuff!

Anywho, I am still progressing slowly. I dropped the whole Air Force deal, it took me 2 years in ROTC to figure out it isn't my cup of tea, however I met alot of great folks along that path. I graduated college with an Aviation Mgmt degree and I am currently working as a technician in a school district. Quite a bit less money than the intro aviation job, but being as that is government, I first have to take care of a few unpaid traffic tickets i have collected.

I have also started designing/hosting websites for numerous people. Actually, one of my personal sites started earning me a decent bit of money every month, but I got lazy and didnt maintain it so it tanked :p

Hope yall have had a good 2015 thus far! I love this forum, its like my own little time capsule xD I actually wanted to make my own OS and I posted that here!
cyclopsitis Posted - Feb 16 2010 : 5:53:32 PM
Agree with you Aaron! Nerf Smurf, the getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. I've found that in most cases the people with the most school lack the most common sense! That is why I don't take people too seriously until they have proved their work ethic. Good luck!
Nerf Smurf Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 2:06:16 PM
I typed a reply out at school a few days ago, but I didnt log in so it went bye bye. But Yes i understand what the both of you are saying. I knew this one guy that was A+ certified that worked with me at Circuit City. He often came to me for answers when working on clients PCs and I at the time wasn't certified, just a PC salesman.

Anyway, hopefully I get a pilots slot. Today I impressed the Colonel with my aircraft know-abouts. Hopefully he can help me get my foot in the door.
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 08 2010 : 04:04:17 AM
Yes that seems right. Passing a test is one thing, being good at what you do is something else of which matters more. The tests get your foot in the door only. However if you make it clear that you are just so damn good at what you do then you'll excel more than any test is able to reflect of your true abilities. This is just what I have noticed. Also I have noticed that people of course get praised for doing well in tests but in the practical world they are sometimes not competent enough to actually put their teachings to good use. They often rely on a modest authoritative figure like myself to pass a project. And yes I know all about that.

Be good at what you do and let it be known, but don't boast. Good luck.
Aaron Cake Posted - Feb 07 2010 : 11:20:07 AM
I may be the wrong person to reply, but don't put a lot of emphasis on certifications. Having an A+ unfortunately means very little, only that you can pass a test. But it at least shows competency (in theory). I have had such little luck with "certified" technicians (some of the audacity to call themselves "systems engineers") that I almost ignore anyone with a bunch of letters after their name.

Then again, if you are trying to get your foot in the door of some large company, you almost need these useless certs to pass some artificial requirement. But seriously, a brightly coloured cover letter and smartly designed resume with the proper key words will probably have the same effect.
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 06 2010 : 01:48:09 AM
Well if you don't plan on expanding your knowledge on computers to say a computer science level then being a computer technician is probably right for you. I think Aaron is a computer techie.
The only really cool discoveries you'll be noticing in that field will originate from the discoveries electronic engineers, computer scientists and physicists make.

Good luck!
Nerf_Smurf Posted - Feb 06 2010 : 12:21:17 AM
Yes, Im the same Nerf Smurf, I forgot my password (then I remembered it afterwards). I have really gotten into PCs over the last 3-4 years. My main PC has an i5, 4GB DDR3, ATI HD5870, bells, whistles, etc. And I understand how it all works (dont ask me about binary, etc) I also have basic networking know how etc. I guessing that my best bet now is GeekSquad....
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 05 2010 : 10:43:52 AM
I can't help you but for me circumstances arose once which put me in a similar position as you. I decided not to join the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and continue my studies instead. It turns out that both of these choices could lead me to travel on a large scale.

Are you the same Nerf Smurf that has made three hundred and something posts of which your last post was in July 2008? You're on the second members page.

IT involves computers... computers... and more computers. If you like computers then it is a computational probability that you will enjoy the computing world of IT! LOL! Good luck.
What the F|_|ck ???
Okay it's bed time Johnny. It's 2:45AM
Oops I did it again!
Bye.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000