Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Bought Me a Welder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aaron Cake Posted - Oct 12 2008 : 11:09:48 AM
I finally took the plunge and purchased a TIG welder. Realistically I've needed one for several years but could always get some time on someone else's machine (or rent one) when necessary. Now that's less of an option and with several projects coming up in which I will need to weld a lot of aluminum I figured it's now or never.

From Sure Arc Welding Supply I ordered a Miller Econotig. It's an AC/DC power supply capable of up to 150A in GTAW (TIG) or SMAW (stick). I had originally been looking at the Syncrowave line from Millar but the price went up dramatically with the only advantage being pulse capability. Since the Econotig came complete with a pedal, torch, electrode holder (for stick), gas regulator and hose it's a great starting point when the buyer doesn't have a previous setup.

At the same time I picked up the Econotig I also purchased a small tank (bottle) of argon, a pack of spare tungsten's and a few pounds of aluminum and stainless filler rods. In addition I had to grab a 50 ft 8 gauge extension cord (this cord is a beast and weighs damn near 30 LBs) so I could run the unit in the garage. As the only convenient 50A 240V outlet I have is for the oven, I also made an oven to equipment plug adapter cord, seen at the far left.

The sad thing is that right now I don't have anything to weld so I've only spent a few minutes on the machine so far. I made a few trial welds on both clean and dirty steel and aluminum with nice results. The arc is generally easy to start and very controllable. One issue is that went I went full throttle for the full 166A in AC, it took about half a 2nd to blow the fuses on both legs of the oven circuit. If I intend to do thick material (specifically aluminum) I'll need to wire in a dedicated circuit.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sergiosparks Posted - Oct 27 2008 : 09:31:55 AM
Wow !
Aaron Cake Posted - Oct 20 2008 : 09:50:06 AM
Yesterday I started working on an aluminum rear strut bar for the RX-7. It's taking a little longer then I thought to shape the flanges but I expect it will get welded later this week.
cyclopsitis Posted - Oct 16 2008 : 10:18:20 PM
Very cool! I should buy one one of these days!
Aaron Cake Posted - Oct 13 2008 : 10:40:31 AM
A number of them. My own RX-7 will get a complete dry sump oil system as well as a new stainless (or aluminum) fuel tank with a sump. I am planning on producing turbo kits for the NA RX-7, as well as a few other products. And of course, now everyone I know needs stuff welding.

(Random funny, but the Google Ad below this post is advertising an Econotig at Shopzilla. The price is about what I paid retail).
wasssup1990 Posted - Oct 12 2008 : 6:31:21 PM
Hot! What project do you have coming up?

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000