Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Macintosh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 16 2008 : 08:21:12 AM
I have 5 old Macintoshes. What can I do with them? I don't have the operating system on disk but the Power Macintosh 6200/75 has an operating system already on it. There must be something I can do with them. Any ideas?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wasssup1990 Posted - Apr 01 2008 : 03:10:34 AM

Aaron you're making me jealous. That little baby is so nice, I wish I had one regardless of how old it is.

My IBM 380XD battery is now dead after approximatly 3 to 4 years.

Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 31 2008 : 09:40:13 AM
Funny thing is that I've had a machine like that for over 10 years. My 660LX palmtop will go for a week without charging if used an hour or two a day.
wasssup1990 Posted - Mar 23 2008 : 01:32:57 AM
Yes it's definitely not suitable for everyone.

A few months ago I was reading one of those computer mags and is saw another thin laptop that wasn't a Mac but the description mentioned that a single battery charge could last up to 12 hours. I can't wait for laptop batteries and laptop power efficiency to improve to the point where I can not charge it for at least a week. I believe that will happen in the next 5 to 10 years. Sooner I hope.

Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 22 2008 : 10:31:40 AM
Yeah, but they have the typical Apple quality problems.

The first batch overheated like crazy. A BIOS update apparently fixes the problem.

It's totally sealed so you can't replace the HD, upgrade the memory or even swap the battery. There's also no wired EtherNet port. Not sure about a SD card or PCMCIA card though.

I wonder how durable that ultra thin screen is going to be in the long run? The new Toshiba Satellite Pro line has very thin screens and I've already replaced two.
wasssup1990 Posted - Mar 20 2008 : 07:46:18 AM

WOW! Take a look at this.

Very thin.

wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 25 2008 : 4:21:39 PM
Two accelerometers are used and a gyro all in one module just to find the tilt angle. The motors are driven to keep the robot upright.
Kahn Posted - Feb 25 2008 : 11:13:27 AM
how does it balance, two gyroscopes and a differential?
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 25 2008 : 01:35:21 AM
Some great ideas, there. Although when the robot balances eventually, I will create a handheld remote control from scratch which will send commands to the robot and may even have a matrix display to provide some feedback to me from the robot. The robot could be very usefull for a resume.
Kahn Posted - Feb 24 2008 : 11:34:11 AM
Depending on how old they are, you might be able to ust one with your robot??? like have the mac broadcasting commands to the robot, the robot brodcasting sensor data back, the mac interprets and sends new orders.

or you could do what a friend of mine is trying, using a computer and some kind of sonar or radar system to......do radar things.

I don't know.

KAHN
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 24 2008 : 02:44:28 AM
Ok then, I'll try linux. It's about time I learned linux anyway. I'm a little busy on my bot, but i'll eventually get around to it.
Are there anymore ideas?
cirvin Posted - Feb 23 2008 : 7:59:33 PM
I have an OS8 cd, and no idea how to use it.

Linux would be my choice, it would be at least a good learning experience.
pearltorto Posted - Feb 23 2008 : 5:07:40 PM
BURN THEM!!!
Aaron Cake Posted - Feb 23 2008 : 10:19:08 AM
Yellow Dog linux runs on older Macs. I've never tried it myself.
wasssup1990 Posted - Feb 19 2008 : 12:09:30 AM
quote:
Will It Blend?

Haha, you've seen those videos too.

quote:
Could get some server software for them and have them act as file servers, or you can put linux on them and use them as desktop machines.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not a linux guy. Umm, do you happen to have the MAC Os on hand? I don't have it, and I had trouble creating FDs with my win machine. I found all of these computers on the street and I want to make use of them.
cirvin Posted - Feb 18 2008 : 2:23:15 PM
Could get some server software for them and have them act as file servers, or you can put linux on them and use them as desktop machines.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000