Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 UPS recommendation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kevinloh Posted - Aug 17 2004 : 01:22:09 AM
I recently saw a Prolink UPS (standby type) on a computer fair that is capable of outputing power of up to 1200VA and it's waveform type is synchrorised stepped wave. Runtime is 15-45minutes. I want to know is this powerful enough to run all my wanted peripherals that is my 17inch Compal Color Monitor, My PSU whcih is 300Watts and my hifi speakers connected to a 150W 240VAC ampliifer. And by the way if I did buy this UPS can I buy more of the same type of batterues and hooked it all up in parallel connection so I can hopefully get mroe extended runtime? Thanks

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 23 2004 : 09:14:32 AM
It might be more cost effective to parallel many small batteries, but it's better electrically to just use the larger batteries. That way you don't have to worry about all those interconnects, multiple failure points, etc. If one battery dies, it will bring down the whole string. And everytime you add a battery you increase the chance of failure exponentially.

kevinloh Posted - Aug 21 2004 : 07:14:28 AM
Well Aaron, over here 4.5Ah lead acid batteries are cheap about B$17-19 so it's also approximately CAN$9 . But things get expensive as the battery capacity increases . Even a Chinese made Sealed Lead Acid battery 12V 17AH is B$70.00 about CAN$35-38. I think it's worth while to buy those small 4.5 Ah battery and hooked all of them up in parallel. The 12V 17Ah battery is very heavy though. I don't seem to find lead acid battery chargers here that present a green led for fully charge, orange for partially charge and red is charging, all the batteyr chargers here are fully manual unless you get those cheap emergency light circuitry then that will present the led lights.

Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 19 2004 : 08:59:49 AM
Wow, batteries are expensive over there. I can buy 12V 4AH all day for $9. I don't have my price list handy, but 40AH is about $40.

Really, it depends on the amp. If it's a switching supply inside, then it's probably fine. If it's a straight transformer, it should work. But if they're using the mains for anything and/or have crappy filtering, it might be an issue.

kevinloh Posted - Aug 19 2004 : 08:48:05 AM
That's great a UPS with 40-50 AH. Should be quite expensive too. Over here a sealed lead acid 12V 23AH battery cost B$113.00 about CAN$50-70. But I am still in doubt on whether a stepped wave UPS can power my 240VAC 150Watt audio amplifier properly. Since I heard from some sources says that it doesn't work well. Any ideas Aaron?

Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 18 2004 : 09:11:39 AM
My older UPS was just a Back UPS 250. I put a Hawker 54AH battery on it.

My newer setup is an old APC 800RT. It has two 12V 2.4AH (I know, wussy...but they're not original) batteries internally in series...As soon as I can figure out when to take the servers offline for a few minutes, I'll be upgrading those to probably something in the 30-40AH range.

kevinloh Posted - Aug 18 2004 : 12:56:31 AM
Thanks for your comments on that Aaron. Aaron may I ask? I know that you are using an APC UPS but I want to know what is the model and what is the battery capacity that you are using now for that UPS... Thanks once again

Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 17 2004 : 10:05:09 AM
Yes, it will easily run all that stuff.

Normally you can increase battery power in that way, but it depends on the exact way the batteries are configured in the UPS. When you start having to put things in series and parallel, it gets a little complicated.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000