Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Scary Gas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kale Posted - Dec 03 2003 : 7:24:50 PM
This was sent around work today:

quote:

Engineering Services has requested that we take more care in making sure laboratory gas valves are shut off completely. Month-end statistics for November revealed that the propane gas consumption for <name removed to protect the stupid> was excessively high: 247 cubic meters vs monthly average of 5. Engineering staff tested all outlets and found 8 to be full or partially open on the 3rd and 4th floors. Some were located inside fume exhaust cabinets while others were discharging directly into the laboratory. As all outlets had been checked and were fully closed in early November after the propane tank had run empty, these situations are all recent events.

Leaving the gas valves open represents a significant fire/explosion hazard, not to mention cost and risk of outage. Please ensure that valves are turned off fully after use and that care is taken when working near valves such that they are not left open.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank god I just work in the optics lab where there is no gas valves. -Mind you if the lab next door blows up it will probably still be a problem for me...

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kale Posted - Jan 16 2004 : 11:43:50 PM
In recent news, the same lab that had the problem I mentioned earlier put out another announcement. Apparently some of the shutoff valves are faulty, so it wasn't JUST people leaving stuff open; the valves themselves were leaking. This was in an email warning people that the gas in the lab would be shut off until the contractor could come in and fix the valves. *sigh*

jast Posted - Jan 12 2004 : 12:18:37 PM
Thought I would just mention that i left the gas on at my high school over the weekend 2 times. chem teacher wasnt too happy about that.

Kale Posted - Dec 23 2003 : 9:50:05 PM
Soylent Green is people!

cirvin Posted - Dec 11 2003 : 8:53:17 PM
Worthless poeple. :p

BEatonNo1 Posted - Dec 11 2003 : 7:20:04 PM
thats pretty good...I had always heard that if you were to reduce a person to their basic elements, then you would end up with like $20 of raw materials

cirvin Posted - Dec 11 2003 : 5:10:00 PM
there would be a couple of people i would like soo much to shove violently into the machine: Mike peck, uhhh, ummmm, no he is the bigest asshole in our school.

Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 11 2003 : 09:30:20 AM
This quote from the article has always stuck with me:

"If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38
pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123
pounds of sterilized water."

It continues to say that the value of which would be just under $100....We now have the official number on the value of one person.

While not 175 LBs, we can start with Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Roseanne (which definitly excees the 175 quota), Carrot Top, N'SYNC, Aaron Carter.....

cirvin Posted - Dec 10 2003 : 3:40:10 PM
Yea, i do support the death penalty. i don't wanna pay to have some sex offnder live without a care in a prison. i say: An eye for an eye!

Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 10 2003 : 2:44:29 PM
quote:

I saw today on tv a process that turns turkeys into crude oil. basically it takes the leftovers, and heats them up decomposing them into the oil. The neet thing is, they said the oil is produced cheaper per barrel than the current prices. They also said that if all of the us poultry companies were to use this, we could become independant of over seas resources.
Im thinking I need to start raising turkeys to lower my gas prices

Yeah, I heard about this several months ago after it was posted to the Electric Vehicle Discussion List. At first I didn't believe it, but after reading the website I realized how cool it was.

Funny thing is that my first thought was that we could throw people in there instead of prison...

BEatonNo1 Posted - Dec 10 2003 : 11:35:48 AM
Well I dont agree with you about the airconditioning...here in Texas it gets pretty hot in the summer. However I do know that there are more efficent systems, that circulate water underground or in ponds. They are considerably more expensive than airconditioner units (well at least for home use)

Kale Posted - Dec 10 2003 : 10:06:54 AM
The government doesn't subsidize alternate fuel sources in the same way they subsidize oil distribution, so its more expensive. Also, renewable energy sources tend to be inefficient. You need a fair bit of wind, or sun, or whatever to get useful amounts of power. Of course the main part of the problem is that we use too much energy to begin with. Our appliances should be more economical, and we should use them less often. Lighting needs to switch over to LEDs, which use only 10-20% of the power of incandecent bulbs, use the air-conditioner less often (buy a fan!), etc.

BEatonNo1 Posted - Dec 09 2003 : 9:44:07 PM
well fuel cells have a long way to go before they can fit my budget.

cirvin Posted - Dec 09 2003 : 9:21:13 PM
Think of the envireonmental issues. don;t support hydrocarbon fuels as dirty as gasoline! God please don't . It is MY AIR!!!

BEatonNo1 Posted - Dec 09 2003 : 8:54:30 PM
I saw today on tv a process that turns turkeys into crude oil. basically it takes the leftovers, and heats them up decomposing them into the oil. The neet thing is, they said the oil is produced cheaper per barrel than the current prices. They also said that if all of the us poultry companies were to use this, we could become independant of over seas resources.
Im thinking I need to start raising turkeys to lower my gas prices

n/a Posted - Dec 06 2003 : 5:59:18 PM
That is an excellent point Aaron.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000