Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Magnetized oil filter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - Nov 26 2003 : 12:41:12 PM
A guy I know makes Nascar parts. It seems his company is making a magnetized oil filter, which would "pick-up" any metallic elements that may be flowing through the system. I'm not sure what these filters are going for, but I'm sure they're quite a bit higher priced than regular oil filters. I guess some of the nascar guys are interested in running these filters on their cars.
Dumb question: Couldn't you just attach a hefty magnet to the outside of the oil filter case bottom and essentially provide the same amount of "protection"??? Maybe I'm missing something???
Dumb question, could you ju

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - Dec 03 2003 : 2:34:26 PM
Good point Aaron. After reading the input, It seems that the magnet oil filter is more of a gimmik rather than a beneficial contribution. I'd like to see the data on the analysis that this company performed...if any, to see if the data supports the magnet addition. Maybe SPC analysis or a converted R&R study is the only way to find the truth. Oh well...

Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 03 2003 : 09:47:14 AM
quote:

Now I'm just reasoning here: Do you think the idea of the mag filter is to keep the metallic elements away from the actual filter element, therefore reducing the blockage, thus increasing flow, or reducing the possibility of metallic elements being forced through the filter element by the high flow rate that is caused by the high RPM's? (now that's a run-on sentence for ya!).

That could be it, but I doubt that much of what clogs the filter is magnetic. Certainly not an an alloy block..Again, it seems like you would need some pretty wicked magnets to actually trap things as they flow by quickly.

n/a Posted - Dec 02 2003 : 1:14:20 PM
Your point about the buildup breaking loose is a good one Aaron. Through reading some of the great input you all have, I'm trying to find the reasoning behind th magnetized oil filter. I'm not absolutely convinced that the magnet filter is a gimik, although I'm sure the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost.

Now I'm just reasoning here: Do you think the idea of the mag filter is to keep the metallic elements away from the actual filter element, therefore reducing the blockage, thus increasing flow, or reducing the possibility of metallic elements being forced through the filter element by the high flow rate that is caused by the high RPM's? (now that's a run-on sentence for ya!).
Nevertheless, the topic makes for an interesting discussion, at least from my perspective...

kenmce Posted - Nov 27 2003 : 2:22:03 PM
You can buy (or make) an oil drain plug that has a magnet on the end that sticks into the oil. I think the idea is that if you see metal on the magnet when you change the oil you know that something is wrong and can look for the problem.

Military helicopters have a similar setup. There is a magnet in the engine oil that has an electrical contact on either side of it. If the magnet collects enough metal to bridge the gap between the contacts a light come on on the dash, lets the pilot know they have a problem.
BEatonNo1 Posted - Nov 27 2003 : 10:45:47 AM
In The nascar motors, isnt most of it made out of lightweight alloys, like aluminum and titanum. Most of these metals are non ferrous anyways, so a magnet will have no effect

Aaron Cake Posted - Nov 27 2003 : 09:03:45 AM
I don't really believe there's any point in this past a gimmick. The paper element in an oil filter already stops everything down to a few microns, and anything smaller is probably smaller then what would effect an engine. Consider that oil also moves through a filter relativly quickly, and I doubt that any magnet of reasonable strength could pull much out of a fast moving oil stream. Also, there is the buildup around the magnatized area (should this actually work). What happens if that suddenly knocks loose?

With stuff like this, you always have to think "why has the oil/fuel/OEM manufacturer not already done it?".

Now, magnatized oil drain plugs have been standard for years to pick up metallic debris in the oil pan.

cirvin Posted - Nov 26 2003 : 3:02:23 PM
you could wrap 18 gauge magnet wire around it and use an electromagnet instad of just a big magnet

BEatonNo1 Posted - Nov 26 2003 : 2:48:24 PM
I would think so, but wouldnt the filter stop the stuff just as well? I gues it would be added securtity to use a magnet.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000