Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Lounge
 Soldering iron burns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cirvin Posted - Jul 17 2003 : 7:37:21 PM
About 5 minutes ago, i was putting the finishing tuches on my inverter when i got up to get a soda. my foot then caught the cord of my soldering iron. it fell over onto my hand. OWWWW!!!! this brings me to the reason for this post. one of the best treatments for iron burn is this aloe vera lotion. there are may kinds, but they are all a green very viscus gell. the lotion acts as a topical anesthetic. it works vey well for me. try it!

(Edit....Moved to Lounge)

Edited by - Aaron Cake on Jul 18 2003 10:10:11 AM
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BEatonNo1 Posted - Aug 04 2003 : 01:13:43 AM
I use a 100/140 watt gun. I prefer it to a 30 watt one I bought at radio shack. its nice to not have to wait for an hour before you can use the gun. If I have to make a quick fix to something I can pull it out plug it in and make the solder in less than a minute.

cirvin Posted - Jul 31 2003 : 8:53:15 PM
people still use soldering guns, for like large connections, automotive wiring, heavy duity high power equipltment ect. but for sure not for electronics.

next stop: nobel prize winner!

Edited by - cirvin on Jul 31 2003 8:55:07 PM
Epsilon! Posted - Jul 31 2003 : 8:36:43 PM
soldering guns generate heat by resistance.. high current is passed through the tip and heats up.. when you let go of the trigger it cools.. those are like 100w... you can still get burned when the trigger is off.. also they are heavy.. no one uses them anymore..

Edited by - Epsilon! on Jul 31 2003 8:37:38 PM
Kale Posted - Jul 31 2003 : 1:29:51 PM
Mine has two settings: 20W and 40W. When it's on 40W the tips start getting a bit soft...

cirvin Posted - Jul 30 2003 : 2:24:27 PM
it was a 30 watt iron.

next stop: nobel prize winner!
Nerf Smurf Posted - Jul 30 2003 : 1:53:44 PM
i know the grip dont have nothin to do with it. i mean do you have a soldering iron or gun. I recon the soldering guns are alot hotter

We have the gift to build what we want.
Kale Posted - Jul 30 2003 : 10:37:49 AM
Maybe the creams are more concentrated? Or they throw some other stuff in there besides the aloe to soothe the burn.

BEatonNo1 Posted - Jul 30 2003 : 12:02:33 AM
I dont think I have tried the cream but the plant doesnt work very well.

cirvin Posted - Jul 29 2003 : 11:36:58 PM
i ran a little bit of water over the burn, but that was for only about 5 min. then i put the aloe vera stuff on and it stopped hurting on like 30 min.

BEatonNo1 Posted - Jul 29 2003 : 6:57:08 PM
the worst burn I have ever seen, was at a campout. some ideot threw a plastic cup inthe fire, and my friend went to fish it out with a stick, and molten plastic ran down the stick and his entire palm was burnt. Furthermore, the plastic was fused with his skin...the funny thing is that you cannot even tell, the body has a neet ability to regrow the print on the hand

Epsilon! Posted - Jul 29 2003 : 6:23:14 PM
yup.. they hurt....

2 summers ago i was building an n64 controller interface for the pc. anyway.. the soldering iron cable got caught in the wire cutters and as I reached for them I pulled the cable and the whole iron fell on my knee.. I was wearing shorts. The burn was about 5 cm long..it was painfull.

In school.. my teacher was teaching the class on how to solder and he lectured us about safety and he told us a story...
Couple of years back when he was teaching a electric engeneering at the school everyone was at the work benches soldering. A student had put down his soldering iron the handle facing him as he was suppposed to, then some idiot thought it would be funny if he turned it around. So other guy goes and reaches for the iron unknowingly..... his whole hand was burned.. he had to go to the hospital...

Then the teacher told us that if you get burned apply cold running water to the burn.. it cools it. This actually helps alot.When you get a burn, the cells burst and you get a blister.. this continues down into the skin for 15 mins, even after the burn! Applying cold water or ice stops the blistering and the burn goes away in a couple of hours.. rather than days.

Kale Posted - Jul 28 2003 : 2:49:37 PM
Which is what always seems to happen... owie! The worst thing is that the larger the grip is, the more it just seems to get in the way rather than doing anything useful.

cirvin Posted - Jul 28 2003 : 08:39:28 AM
The grip doesn't do jack when you touch or grab the metal part.

Nerf Smurf Posted - Jul 27 2003 : 4:50:57 PM
did you all get those with a soldering GUN or IRON. I have a "cool grip soldering iron" 30-watt

We have the gift to build what we want.
cirvin Posted - Jul 24 2003 : 3:57:44 PM
ouch. it has been a weeand my burn is half the size it was. it hasn't hurt since the day i got it. i love the aloe vera lotion.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000