Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Electronics Repair
 Odd power problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stairre Posted - Jun 08 2012 : 12:41:21 PM
Hey fellas! I have a strange problem and am not sure where to start. I'm trying to resurrect an old Synthesizer (Waldorf Pulse). It won't power on. I have been learning more and more about electronics repair, but I'm stumped this time. Here's what happens:

First of all, the main problem (and only problem as far as I know) is that it won't power up.

There is no on/off switch and no internal or panel accessible fuses.

Basically once the 12V DC power supply is plugged in to the unit and the wall, it's supposed to power up.

Here's the rub. I've tested the power supply and my multimeter shows +12 volts roughly. Once the power supply is plugged in to the unit, I get a reading of 0.0 from the + and - contacts connected directly to the power jack and DC barrel plug. I removed the jack and tested it by itself and got a +12v reading. So how is it that once the power supply is plugged in to the unit, it basically shuts down? I've tried 3 different 12V DC power supplies, all with the proper polarity and one of which with 3 time the needed mA. Any thoughts on where to begin? Thanks!!!

P.S. Sorry if this is an easy troubleshoot... I'm still learning!
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Cake Posted - Jun 10 2012 : 10:39:19 AM
Can the power supply run something else? Such as a small 12V bulb?

Sounds like something is shorted internally in the synth. Should be fairly easy to find with the cover off because there will likely be burned/scortch marks. If there isn't, you need to step through the circuit starting at the 12V connection with a multimeter, testing each component.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000