Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Electronics Repair
 Replace Toggle with Lever Switch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nerf_Smurf Posted - Mar 23 2008 : 02:10:59 AM

Can I replace a toggle switch with a lever switch and get no problems?

I recently tried it and a neighbooring room lost power, but the switch works and so are the other 3 outlets (well except the one that is on the same wall as the neighbooring room).

On this site http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-do-home-electrical-repairs4.htm
In step 3 it says I must use the same type of switch that im replacing, but i thought that the toggle and the lever switch were just basic on/off switches. Well anyway, I dont even know if thats the reason the power went off. What do you guys suggest (besides getting a handyman.)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
depressedsoul91 Posted - Mar 25 2008 : 11:52:47 AM
it sounds like it should work but idk
spaman Posted - Mar 24 2008 : 7:58:55 PM
An easy way to ID the type of switch is by how many screws on it. A single pole switch (SPST) will have 2 screws (not counting the green screw on the bracket), a 3 way switch SPDT will have 3 screws not counting the green screw on the bracket)and a 4 way DPST will have 4 screwsnot counting the green screw on the bracket).
Next, it is very important to replace the wires on three way and four way switches as they were on the switch you are taking out.

As you described the after math i am not sure if you tripped the breaker or just lost power in that area.
cyclopsitis Posted - Mar 24 2008 : 10:37:29 AM
They are both the same just a SPST type switch. I would check that you wired it properly. When you wire a swtich there are two terminals (usualy unless its a SPDT type for a three way or 4 way). You have two wires in the wall hot (black) that supplies the 120V and the nutral (white) is the "ground" or 0 potential. You take the hot wire and put it into the top of the switch (top screw terminal) (the Canadian electrical code standardizes that power comes in at the top of a switch, breaker, fuse etc) So that an electrician doing service on it will know what is live and what is not. The loads on the circuit are wired off the bottom screw (the hot comes out of the switch). The nurtral needs to be wires to other nutral so you have a complete circuit. Use a volt meter to measure if there is any power there.

If the swtich is working and all the other ciruits in the house are working you shorted the circuit out (hot to nutrual) and tripped the breaker. Check the pannel and look for a breaker that is not quite in the "on" posistion. Either way you'll have to check your wiring. Check if you have a short somewhere by testing the wires that come from the lights and outlets in the wall if an ohm meter reads 0 you got it. Test from the top of the switch to the nutral with the switch on it should not have perfect continuity it would only have the resistance of the light bulbs (the outlets will be open circuits).

Hope that gives you some ideas

K

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000