Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Electronics Repair
 Sony KV20FS120

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wood3y Posted - Feb 03 2007 : 09:44:40 AM
The TV works and has a very good picture .But it shuts off by itself & I can turn it right back on after it does this .The sleep timer function is shut off ,but it still does this .Any possibilities as to what it might be help. Thanks Wood3y
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JUAN DELA CRUZ Posted - Sep 25 2008 : 03:54:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wood3y

The TV works and has a very good picture .But it shuts off by itself & I can turn it right back on after it does this .The sleep timer function is shut off ,but it still does this .Any possibilities as to what it might be help. Thanks Wood3y

I think there is a partially shorted/ opened component/s (probably the power regulator) that gets really hot for approx. 1/2 hr. upon power-ups causing the entire TV sets to shut-down.. When it gets cooler, the TV can open again and shuts-down again. (repeatedly)

You need to find that partially damage component/s and the reason why it is damage .
pebe Posted - Sep 25 2008 : 03:04:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by juniers

Well this seem to be a common fault with this model .
I presently have one with the same problem (I'm A technician by the way).
What I've found so far is, When its at full brightness it cuts out . If i turn down the brightness and contrast it works forever .
Also if i input a DVD signal it cuts off unless the brightness is conpletely off .
and the 135B+ is 130.
now i've downloaded the manual i will try to solve the problem
and post my findings here .

If the fault is a function of picture brightnass the fault could be that a protection circuit is monitoring and reacting to a higher-than-normal beam current.

I threw away an old Sony for that reason when the tube had deteriorated. But that had the added symptom that the tube wouldn't focus properly at normal screen brightness.
juniers Posted - Sep 25 2008 : 12:58:21 AM
Well this seem to be a common fault with this model .
I presently have one with the same problem (I'm A technician by the way).
What I've found so far is, When its at full brightness it cuts out . If i turn down the brightness and contrast it works forever .
Also if i input a DVD signal it cuts off unless the brightness is conpletely off .
and the 135B+ is 130.
now i've downloaded the manual i will try to solve the problem
and post my findings here .
cyclopsitis Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 5:50:31 PM
If this occurs when your Tuner is plugged in the bad solder joint or part could be in the tuner its self... Just be careful to not apply heat to the tuner parts for a too long as this could damage the tuner and once that happens there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Ken
sergiosparks Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 11:00:03 AM
If your tv is more than 5 years old then get a magnifying lense and really look for bad solders at the solder side of the circuit board.Also notice those capacitors top they should be neat and flat a slight pyramid shape is bad replace it.
robdude Posted - Feb 13 2007 : 6:12:27 PM
Here is the manual http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV20FS120.pdf hope this helps.
wood3y Posted - Feb 07 2007 : 09:13:24 AM
The TV stays on when the coaxl cable is not plugged in .But after plugging cable in TV shuts off about evry 1/2 hour or so.If anyone knows were to get a manual for this that would be great model# KV 20 FS120 sony Wega Thanks Ken will start looking.
cyclopsitis Posted - Feb 03 2007 : 12:28:36 PM
My guess would be its something in the power supply. I had an old stereo receiver that would turn off when it wanted to. It had a timer too and even when it was off it would turn off every 10 min or so. I didn't repair it myself because I was younger then. The repair tech fixed it for about $60 or so and he really was not keen on explaining what he did but it was a bad component that shut off when it heated up. I'm taking a guess but this would be the process I would go through. I would check the board (wiring side) for bad solder joints sometimes the head can cause a bad connection. The problem with an intermittent problem is finding the bad component. I fixed a big screen TV a few years ago and it took me forever to find one resistor that had a hair line crack in it when it got hot it separated enough to stopped functioning I only found it because I got pissed off and tapped the board with my soldering iron and it separated the crack enough for me to see it. Replaced it and the TV is still working today :D. Anyway I'd do some quick measurements before it turns off and after to find where in the power supply it is cutting out. If you still can't find it you might have to replace the processor that receives the on/off commands because it could be sending commands its not receiving. The good old days were when a power button was the power button.

I'm just rambling now... so I will end it here. I will call up one of my friends who repairs TVs all the time and ask him what he thinks for you. We always talk tech stuff. I hope I got your little grey cells (brain cells) working.

Ken.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000