Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Basic Electronics
 Need 110VAC variable power supply for a power tool

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TommyC Posted - Feb 01 2011 : 4:44:48 PM
I plan to purchase a die grinder and want to use in a low-rpm mode. I would prefer to purchase a variable-speed, low-range grinder but the one I really like (Makita GD0810C), 1800 - 7000 rpm, is no longer available.

So I'll end up getting one of the conventional tools that run up to a no-load speed of 20,000 rpm. I need to step this down with (preferably) a simple variable power supply w/ a "rheostat" control on it.

Does anyone know where I can find one "ready to go"? Some devices I've seen advertised spec out as so many #937; and such-and-such power (e.g., 500W). The tool I have in mind is 4.3 load amps (500W).

To be clear, I'm imagining something I simply plug into and that has a rotary control on it. A suggestion and weblink to a vendor would be excellent.

Any help is appreciated.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Cake Posted - Feb 21 2011 : 10:01:12 AM
Something like that only works with brushed motors. Bench grinders are induction motors. The only way to control the speed of an induction motor is to actually change the frequency of the AC.
Pantaz Posted - Feb 20 2011 : 04:47:53 AM
I have one of these from HF. (Wait for a sale, when they usually go for about half-price.) It's rated for 15 amps.

I've used it successfully on an old single-speed drill, but it doesn't work on my HF 8" bench grinder.
Aaron Cake Posted - Feb 04 2011 : 09:55:45 AM
Most of those grinders are bruhsed motors, so a regular light dimmer will do the job.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000