Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Basic Electronics
 Aaron recommended a circuits site to me.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Yerboogieman Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 8:16:29 PM
I can't remember it, but I need a subwoofer crossover circuit.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boron Posted - Aug 23 2010 : 10:00:40 PM
What does that have to do with a subwoofer crossoever circuit, colour spectrums or anything else that was brought up in this thread? Stop hijacking them and start your own. Your post is also quite difficult to understand.
RRITESH KAKKAR Posted - Aug 23 2010 : 09:25:38 AM
I have Mosfet & It's working But have a doubt How to know whether it's Depleted or Enchan. Mosfet I remember in class lecture It was told That depleted mosfet On GATE suply It Does not give o/p But in Experiment I azm not able to understand this.............!
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 02 2010 : 10:36:44 AM
I know there is only a tiny amount of mercury, but it does all add up and it makes sense to keep it out of the environment. Fluorescent tubes pose a similar problem. Incandescent lamps are much more "friendly" aside from the power usage since most of them aren't packed with toxic chemicals. Glass, tungsten, argon, a coating, some lead, and steel. Most of the incandescent bulbs at my place were well over 5 years old when they were replaced with CFLS. And in the mean time, at least 8 CFLs have needed to be replaced. 3 of those actually caught fire, 2 were about to. I use so much power that paying for a few extra electrons to run some incandescent lamps doesn't bother me. I've noticed no savings since switching to CFLs anyway.
audioguru Posted - Aug 02 2010 : 09:47:09 AM
when you mix red light and green light your eyes see yellow light.
With R, G and B in the correct ratios you can make perfect white that contains all colours.
Colour TVs use R, G and B to make millions of colours.
BEatonNo1 Posted - Aug 02 2010 : 12:38:09 AM
I think the issue is with how the spectral output of the LED relates to the EYE. When I was playing with blending LED colors, the yellows were not as bright as the other colors When you looked at the spectral emission of the LEDs they had really narrow outputs at red blue and green and not much output in between.
audioguru Posted - Aug 01 2010 : 9:44:28 PM
A CFL contains a very small amount of murcury. Most people don't eat landfill.
I heat my home in a furnace with inexpensive natural gas, not expensive electricity in incandescent light bulbs that don't last long. The air conditioner must work harder to remove the heat from incandescent "heaters".
Aaron Cake Posted - Jul 31 2010 : 10:41:45 AM
It most certainly is a gimmick. Since yellow isn't part of the transmitted signal, it must be synthesized. There was an article in Maximum PC that explained how absurd adding another colour is:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered

I guess if you like over saturated yellows at the end of the spectrum, get a Sharp TV.

As for the CFLs, I wonder how many of those enviro-weenies pushing them really through the whole thing through. The fact that they contain mercury makes for a disposal disaster if they all end up in the landfill. Many are made in China where there are minimal environmental controls, and minimal worker protection for those handling hazardous substances. And what about all those perfectly serviceable incandescent bulbs which are now in the landfill?
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 30 2010 : 8:50:27 PM
That's what I was thinking too, it probably is a gimmick. We only need RGB on a black background or YMC on a white background to produce the full visible color spectrum. I havn't done the research but I don't see how yellow will improve apon anything.
audioguru Posted - Jul 30 2010 : 09:59:28 AM
When two colours are added together then they fill-in and make a 3rd colour.
When R, G and B are added together in the proper ratio then they make pure white with no dips in the colour spectrum.

My RGB mood lights slowly fade and brighten R, G and B LEDs and make millions of colours including pure white.

One Japanese TV manufacturer is adding yellow to the RGB screen (maybe as a gimmick).
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 30 2010 : 04:37:08 AM
Interesting. I haven't got the time to research them but does the extra color really fill in the spectral dips and why are spectral dips a problem in room lighting?
BEatonNo1 Posted - Jul 29 2010 : 10:49:59 PM
Wasssup,
I tried to make a lamp that would change color temperature to match what is outside (to help the dreariness of the cube-farm :P). The problem is if you look at the spectrum output of the LEDs you end up with dips. This is why you are starting to see RGBY controllers, leds and products. Also heat is a big problem unless you are willing to buy very expensive LEDs.

Also good to know about CCFLs are about to catch fire when they start to flicker off and on....I have a couple that are doing that. The big disadvantage to them I think is the Mercury, I don't think any green organizations have really adopted them because of this. Only the power companies.
audioguru Posted - May 09 2010 : 11:35:19 AM
My electical utility company gave away CFLs for free. One of mine dripped burning plastic on the table.
They were all recalled and replaced because the Chinese manufacturer copied the certification label from his competitor so they were not certified and were not safe.
Aaron Cake Posted - May 09 2010 : 10:59:28 AM
That means it is probably about to fail. All of mine did that before they burst into flames.

What is also wonderful about these CFLs is that when they do break, you now have a cloud of mercury in the air.
wasssup1990 Posted - May 02 2010 : 8:42:20 PM
My sister's CFL turns off and on intermittently.
Aaron Cake Posted - May 02 2010 : 10:01:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by audioguru

Most CFL light bulbs are made poorly in China. They fail much earlier than they should.
My Sylvania CFL bulbs usually fail in 2 years but say they last 5 years so I phone them and get a coupon for the replacement each time.

I've had about the same result. Except that I've had at least 4 fail on fire. Another two failed by bursting the tube. Yet I can't remember the last time I have replaced an incandescent light. I'm just glad that I was in the room when the CFLs failed because if I was not, it could have started quite a fire.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000