Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Sound/Radio
 Frequency Counter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mrgone Posted - Jun 29 2009 : 08:58:28 AM
Hey Johnny?

Wasn't that you that made some freq. counter using a PIC? I'm interested in doing that project myself. Was that posted on Microchip's website or was that totally your design. I looked on their sight but couldn't find it.

Oh, I finally got DSL! Now you can post more movies :D
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mrgone Posted - Jul 27 2009 : 11:11:10 PM
Oh, I hate that, but been there done that. Well, not at 20MHz on one of those things.
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 24 2009 : 07:45:34 AM
Through good placement of components on the breadboard of which was learnt by trial and error.
mrgone Posted - Jul 24 2009 : 07:14:10 AM
Good point. How did you do that?
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 19 2009 : 12:40:52 AM
Thanks Frank,

The trace on the scope was derived from the oscillator. It was used to provide a more usable signal to the PIC chip. The oscillator was producing a near sine wave but nowhere near a pure sine wave. I thought it was pretty good to get that oscillator up to 20MHz on a "push-in" breadboard, but that was after I made the video. My oscillator was only an LC tank circuit so I needed a more accurate clock source for a reference to achieve an accurate reading. So I configured my PIC to run off an external XTAL.
mrgone Posted - Jul 18 2009 : 5:39:19 PM
Well anyway you did a nice job on it. That oscillator could use some work...lol. You see those humps on the signal? Those are harmonics and it's sort of saw tooth shaped like you got some resistance in the tank circuit somewhere. Sorry, I'm just a stickler for spectral purity.

But Johnny, you are the smartest guy I know for your age. You genius you. :D
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 17 2009 : 9:46:33 PM
Hyper Terminal
mrgone Posted - Jul 17 2009 : 7:45:51 PM
No, I mean software. It looked like a GUI. I did assumed you were using the Microchip USB interface though.
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 17 2009 : 09:30:29 AM
RS232
mrgone Posted - Jul 17 2009 : 09:03:40 AM
That's really good Johnny! What sort of interface did you use to display it to the PC?
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 16 2009 : 5:32:40 PM
It looks like I didn't make a thread for it. Here's a video I made last year. I can't even remember what I showed in that video. Anyway take a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nocan4d2zzm
mrgone Posted - Jul 16 2009 : 10:22:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wasssup1990

Hi Frank,

The frequency counter I made was my design. It was mostly programming than circuit design. I made it to see if it could be done using a minimalist mindset. It was mocked up on one of those breadboard where you push the components into the board. I managed to create a simple oscillator on the breadboard along side the frequency counter and measure 20MHz with the FC, and confirmed with my oscilloscope.

Goto search and type in "frequency counter" with my username selected in the list.

Yeah, I want to see that. You got it posted there?
wasssup1990 Posted - Jul 03 2009 : 8:09:01 PM
Hi Frank,

The frequency counter I made was my design. It was mostly programming than circuit design. I made it to see if it could be done using a minimalist mindset. It was mocked up on one of those breadboard where you push the components into the board. I managed to create a simple oscillator on the breadboard along side the frequency counter and measure 20MHz with the FC, and confirmed with my oscilloscope.

Goto search and type in "frequency counter" with my username selected in the list.
mrgone Posted - Jul 02 2009 : 10:51:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pebe

If you Google for 'pic frequency counter' there are quite a few more designs.

Oh you Googled it? I searched on Microchip's website. I've used the 84A. It does do 20MHz. I'm still afraid it will fall to the way side. Maybe not but would rather use the newer stuff. Let me look. Just trying to do a quick job and don't want to convert all the code. Might require me to think....ouch! LOL
pebe Posted - Jul 02 2009 : 02:17:36 AM
If you Google for 'pic frequency counter' there are quite a few more designs.
pebe Posted - Jul 01 2009 : 2:36:23 PM
I think the 16F84 has been discontinued and replaced with the 16F84A. It is backward compatible with the '84 inasmuch as the oscillator can now run at 20MHz instead of 10MHz. It doesn't matter with this counter design because it uses a 4MHz oscillator.

The 16F84A is stated by Microchip as 'in production'. There are several other MCs that have more port bits and memory (as the 16F716) that could readily be adapted, so getting hold of a chip should not be a problem.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000