Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Light/LASER
 Colour Organ

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rstuff Posted - Dec 07 2010 : 3:31:41 PM
How could I add a channel to Aaron's colour organ at http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/organ.asp. I assume I could keep adding channels to the right side of the schematic but I don't know how to calculate the values for the corresponding resistor R6 and capacitors C4 and C5. I plan on hooking up some christmas tree lights to it. My light strings have 4 colors/5wires so I will be replacing the sockets with 5 conductor sockets and wiring them appropriately. Thank you for your help.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
audioguru Posted - Nov 26 2011 : 12:21:17 PM
I looked for the transformer at Digikey. They can order very expensive ones.
People cannot buy cheap little transformers anymore.
Aaron Cake Posted - Nov 26 2011 : 10:16:54 AM
And most any audio transformer with the same turns ratio will do the job. DigiKey should have this transformer in several form factors.
audioguru Posted - Nov 23 2011 : 5:01:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stylekanevich

I want to build the color organ, but I am having trouble finding the 10K:600 Ohm Audio Transformer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found one, but is almost $50.

You are being ripped off. It costs about $2.00 and is sold for about $5.00.
stylekanevich Posted - Nov 23 2011 : 3:20:36 PM
I want to build the color organ, but I am having trouble finding the 10K:600 Ohm Audio Transformer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found one, but is almost $50.
6WFS Posted - Nov 03 2011 : 4:49:18 PM
I hooked my source signal directly to the transformer, but mainly I double checked the pins on my SCR's... they were installed backwards with the gat where the cathode should be. It is working now.

Thank you for getting back to me.
audioguru Posted - Nov 02 2011 : 09:45:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by 6WFS

It seems the first 2 transistors form an amplifier which then feeds the signal to the transformer, which isolates the input circuit from the line voltage. Should I expect to "hear" (with my "probe") the signal on the input side of the transformer?

It is a poorly designed circuit.
The transistors are not properly biased so probably do not work with a "crystal" mic and certainly do not work when the base of the first transistor is shorted to ground by your mic or speaker.
6WFS Posted - Nov 01 2011 : 08:11:41 AM
It seems the first 2 transistors form an amplifier which then feeds the signal to the transformer, which isolates the input circuit from the line voltage. Should I expect to "hear" (with my "probe") the signal on the input side of the transformer?
6WFS Posted - Nov 01 2011 : 08:08:44 AM
I used a speaker as an "audio probe" to see that I have a signal to the bse of the first transistor, that's where it stops.
6WFS Posted - Nov 01 2011 : 08:07:39 AM
I have alot of old stuff in my bins. But I am using the output from an audio source, should I bypass the transistors and connect straight to the transformer? and which way does the transformer go? I've tried it both ways and it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.
audioguru Posted - Oct 31 2011 : 8:17:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 6WFS

I've built your color organ circuit, and it doesn't work. Can you help me troubleshoot the circuit? I've checked my layout, and it is correct according to the schematic.

Where on earth will you find an old "crystal" microphone today? I bet you used a newer electret or dynamic mic that shorts the base of the first transistor to ground.
6WFS Posted - Oct 31 2011 : 12:22:20 PM
I've built your color organ circuit, and it doesn't work. Can you help me troubleshoot the circuit? I've checked my layout, and it is correct according to the schematic.

Thanks
audioguru Posted - Dec 07 2010 : 4:45:11 PM
Your link doesn't work because it contains a period at it end. It is corrected here:
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/organ.asp

The extremely simple circuit has no bandpass filters so its channels are all almost the same.
The channel with R6 has all frequencies.
The 2nd channel with C4 has mid frequencies plus high frequencies.
The 3rd channel with C5 has only high frequencies.
What do you want for your 4th "channel"? No frequencies?

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000