Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Projects/Inventions
 Mechanical Things
 slack take-up motor for wire wound on spool

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blake Posted - Jan 06 2010 : 4:04:44 PM
Hey,

I have a project which involves taking up the slack on a 300 ft. long 1/8" thick wire and wrapping it around a spool as it is pulled in or out. The far end of the cable is attached to a robot with enough torque to pull the cable out. The other end is wound on a spool and is kept taut using a motor. As more or less line is paid out, I am able to manually vary the amount of pull (torque) of the take-in motor using a motor speed controller to vary the voltage. I do this with a potentiometer attached to the analog input of the motor controller. This all works well at low voltage/low torque.

I almost never need full power from the motor (in this case Dayton 4z144 from grainger, 24 V, brushed), and using the potentiometer, I usually feed the motor between 2-5 volts DC. But when I do need the full 24 volts, my motor controller and power source are unable to handle the motor's load. This is because the motor is almost always in a stalled state (as it is just keeping the wire taut, not consistently turning and spooling wire). Stalled, the motor draws over 75 Amps.

My question is then what to do about this situation. Find a motor with a lower stall current, but the same torque curve? Control it differently? Someone suggested a feedback loop that would dynamically control voltage, but I can't see this working..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blake
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sergiosparks Posted - Jan 11 2010 : 08:28:09 AM
Maybe checking motor capacity and power supply capacity should be
checked..
Aaron Cake Posted - Jan 09 2010 : 11:11:14 AM
You can use PWM to limit the motor current.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000