New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in trouble again with XP. I made a backup copy of my c: partition on to the same disk, in error. I should have backed it up on to my second drive.

It came up as a second partition, e:. The original c: showed up as type 'system' and the backup e: showed as 'boot'. I tried to remove the backup, but couldn't because it showed as 'active'. So I set it as 'inactive' and rebooted.

I cannot boot because the drive is not recognized. I have tried several partition programs to try to recover the drive, without success.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2013 :  11:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Boot up using the XP CD and enter the recovery tools.

Follow these instructions to mark the partition active using diskpart(scroll down about half way):
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dm_active_partition.mspx?mfr=true

Reboot after and boot again using the recovery options from the CD.

On the drive, run:

fixmbr
fixboot

Reboot and you should be good to go.

If the Windows bootloader still doesn't show up and boot Windows, download a copy of GRUB or you favourite bootloader and install it. It will replace the Windows boot loader and structure the drive correctly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000