New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  01:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all I want to generate the most power possible from my solar panel and I can only achieve this by using a maximum power point tracker. I googled for some circuits and I landed on this one http://www.freewebs.com/acselectronics/buildppt.html but it was drawn by pen and pepper so I could not understand the capacitor value of pin 12 either it is 100nf or uf or pf and I cant find a way of getting back to the author, but that cap sets the oscilation frequency to 12khz. Can any body help me find the value of that cap either by cosely looking at the fuzy or recalculating it. Alternatively if any one has a similar circuit please post it. Thanks
Dennis

Download Attachment: ppt2.jpg
81.28 KB

ajmix2
Apprentice

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  04:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ajmix2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow...that looks familiar. We were thinking of a tracker project like 3 years ago....it sorta died out. I stopped hearing from mrgone and then even I lost track of it.... the info is still online here somewhere.

If at first you do not succeed, try and try again till you can't try no more.
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  11:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajmix2

Wow...that looks familiar. We were thinking of a tracker project like 3 years ago....it sorta died out. I stopped hearing from mrgone and then even I lost track of it.... the info is still online here somewhere.

Thanks sir for your impressive reply, a closer scrutiny at the fuzy image and the explanation,shows that the circuit seems to be able to perfom its duty of MPT but it should oscilate at 12khz determined by the capacitor at pin 12 but the author didnot write it clear, it apears as 100uf ceramic but thats too big. Is there a way we can recalculate the capacitor value of this cap?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any contributions guys?
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  02:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help on this people. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  04:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the data sheet. That will show you how it works and how to calculate the cap at pin12.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/134/502453_DS.pdf
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  03:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks its 100pf. I have buit the circuit and it works very well.It even increases my solar panel current by 1 amp. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pebe

Here is the data sheet. That will show you how it works and how to calculate the cap at pin12.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/134/502453_DS.pdf

I have failed to get the LM78s40, is there any substitute?
Thyanks
Go to Top of Page

shruti

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  03:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi..we are working on the same circuit.I am not clear about the capacitor connected to pin 8 and 12 as their voltage ratings are not mentioned.Also value at pin 8 is not clear..please help as soon as possible

Shruti Rao
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  04:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shruti

hi..we are working on the same circuit.I am not clear about the capacitor connected to pin 8 and 12 as their voltage ratings are not mentioned.Also value at pin 8 is not clear..please help as soon as possible

Read the data sheet!

All the information you need is there - including circuits and calculations on pages 5&6.
Go to Top of Page

shriram

India
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  11:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
lm78s40 equivalent is mc34063 the only thing is there is no
opamp and diode rest is same
Go to Top of Page

three_metre_jim

1 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  7:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this thread by accident while looking for a simple (no microprocessor) MPPT type solar charger. It's interesting that the posted circuit implements pseudo MPPT by monitoring the input voltage - there is an IC produced by Texas Instruments that works in exactly the same way, but it looks like the circuit here pre-dates it by a fair while.

Texas Instruments BQ24650: http://www.ti.com/product/BQ24650

There is a full explanation of how MPPT is implemented by controlling the input voltage.

Original page courtesy of the Internet Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20091124055655/http://www.freewebs.com/acselectronics/buildppt.html

(you'll have to copy and paste the entire address as the forum seems to interpret the link as two separate addresses)

I saw a post saying you could use the mc34063 instead of the 78s40, but unfortunately, this is not true. The circuit works in reverse compared to normal connection of the switching regulator and needs the non-inverting comparator input that the 34063 does not have (the circuit tries to hold the input voltage down (pulling the open circuit voltage of the panel(s) towards the maximum power voltage) rather than regulate the output voltage). It may be possible using an external comparator and reference, if you'd like to go that way.

Hope this information is of help to someone.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000