Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  02:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok,
so is there another way to prevent the electricty being drawn from the battery? could you please help me on this
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  02:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could have a relay energised by the mains supply, and its NO contacts would connect the battery to the charger. Not as simple as a diode though!
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I switch off switch S1 sometimes the LED remains on, is this normal or it means that my battery is being drained? Thanks
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adnansamra

So Aaron you are not with pebe about what he said in page 3 that when a diod is used the electricty sensing will sense flat volatage so it will recharge and then it can see the voltage limit?
about the OP , I am not going to use it to charge the battery it will only sense the main power to know if it is applied or not if it is it won't give the Switching transistor teh signal to open the battery's circuit to the load and visa vers what do you think?

Why cant you use a mains powered relay switch that only changes states when the mains are on or off and this way it can togle between mains and the inverter part of UPS I have such a circuit infom me if you would like and I will give it you. Thanks
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pebe

You could have a relay energised by the mains supply, and its NO contacts would connect the battery to the charger. Not as simple as a diode though!

That is not practical especialy for me who is using this charger for commercial purposes where it is made to produce over 500Amperes to charge over 50 batteries at ago. Such a realy switch does not exist unless we use a number of mosfets. Does any body know how to go about it?Please help us. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way we can varry the output current with a potentialmetre or something because am using this charger to charge varous batteries of different sizes so small batteries will need small currents and vise vasa. How can I go about it? Thanks
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kivdenn

quote:
Originally posted by pebe

That is not practical especialy for me who is using this charger for commercial purposes where it is made to produce over 500Amperes to charge over 50 batteries at ago......
How do you get that charger to produce 500A?
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I paraleled 32 BT136 Triacs of 16 Amps each for Q1 and one BT159 for Q2 and 3000watt 230V/18V transformer and 12 1N196A diodes of 45 Amps each and I used the same control circuit. The circuit is working perfectly well and I have used it for 9 months now. The only draw back is that you need plenty of heat sinking using cooling fans and huge heat sinks and also it has no way of varying current acording to the number of batteries being charged.Thanks
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have thought of this solution for the drawn up issue,
if we sued a normal relay it will be hot especially if the electricty would stay disconnected for a long time , I have thought of two soltuions and tell me what do you think if it will work or not :
1- to use a relay but not a normal relay; to use a solid state relay, so will it indure hours of always on state ?
2- the second solution is to use a transformer with two seperate out coils one fot the circuit exactly as it is while the other goes to a bridge and then pulses a triac say BT136 in the way of the positive pole of the battery will it work, anyone who can offer help in this regard?
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another question is it compulsary to have a fan? can't we just use a large heat sink of let us say 0.5c/w or a little less without a fan because as we know the triac will pass something like 4A*12V at maximum rate (correct me if wrong) so that means 48 watt at maximum rate?
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please see (http://www.geocities.com/adnan_m_s/usingatriac.jpg)
for the my suggestion of using a triac
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  03:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you think this could work?
Go to Top of Page

kivdenn
Nobel Prize Winner

Uganda
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didnt show where the gate of the extra triac is connected. I is hanging in the air.
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terribly Sorry about that well it is coming from a bridge out put (+ pulse)
Do you think it well work or it will need a SCR to on the gate of the triac?
Go to Top of Page

adnansamra

39 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to ask about another thing Mr. Kivdenn,please
How much slowly will the battery be drain I mean How many milliamperes does it consume when main power is dead this is a very important Question for me?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000