Yearly check in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  10:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Whose all still out there? It's been a few years.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm here, and a few others. Damn that Facebook, killing forums. Even the larger forums I visit have seen drastic reductions in traffic. A smaller forum like mine having a drastic reduction in traffic means almost no traffic.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  01:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Facebook is just easier to keep in touch and see what people are up to. What I don't like, is when people randomly post on the pages, updates on their car. At that point, that cool trick they were talking about, is now lost forever instead of on a forum where it's always there.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

JUAN DELA CRUZ
Mad Scientist

Philippines
476 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^, Agree. I'm still here too.

juan dela cruz
Penniless INVENTOR
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Plus Facebook owns everything someone posts. Same with Instagram and the like. Some people want me to start an Instagram "channel" (what is an Instagram thing called?) documenting my Cosmo. Nope, not going to happen. Stuff posted on Instagram becomes property of Instagram and is totally fleeting. I'm not going to maintain something that goes to the benefit of a company, giving away my content to a 3rd party making it under their control. Same with basically any social network. If I was into it, I could build an awesome Facebook presence. Then suddenly Facebook could decide to delete it all and close my account. It has happened before, many times, to even high profile people. Plus the privacy aspects.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  5:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When has that happened?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you check some of the tech news sites like The Register, you'll find stories. Facebook owns everything you post.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you read the Facebook Terms of Service, you would come to the conclusion that is a lie. You haven't turned into one of those conspiracy theorists, have you? lol

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Terms of service are not legally binding documents. There's plenty of examples of Facebook shutting down accounts, pulling innocent pictures, deleting content and restricting access. Plus there is no way to get my data out of Facebook should I choose. I can't even delete my own account if I want because nothing is ever deleted permanently. They keep archives.
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  10:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi! Dunno if you guys remember me :P Do you think the rise of other diy and hacker sites have hurt your traffic Aaron?

Edited by - BEatonNo1 on Nov 02 2016 11:39:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

eze
Apprentice

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!! Looks like I came back just in time for the yearly check in!!

Shout out to the Cake-meister!! Man have I got some cool news......

Life is like a box of farkles
Go to Top of Page

eze
Apprentice

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and have you guys ever heard of the Duke engines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  10:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Facebook is a monster. It's basically gutting large parts of the Internet. It's the primary news source for most people (which is frightening considering it basically only shows the news a user wants to see) and is the Internet for a huge number of people. But in the same sense, I think the Facebook we have in 10 years will not be the Facebook today. If we have Facebook in 10 years.

Also too, hobbyist electronics is changing drastically. People aren't building little neat circuits out of discrete components. The majority of hobbyist electronics these days seems to be this whole "maker" thing. Which is an odd and almost childish term; "maker". As if it is some new phenomenon, that people haven't been building since the dawn of time. But centered around this "maker" movement is that much of hobbyist electronics now is plugging together Arduino shields, maybe a little basic interface circuitry, and the writing the code. Not that I'm saying that's bad. One can accomplish a lot, and with almost certain success and ease. I like Arduino. It's often the quickest and easiest way to accomplish most neat things. Why build an LED chaser out of a 555 timer, a few decade counters, and BCD decoders with all of those extra parts needed to set up the 555, dropping resistors for the LEDs. Now you can use an ATTiny, an addressable LED strip, past in some code found on the Internet and spend a few minutes tweaking it. Just changes in the way things are done.

I've found all forums I visit have had drastic traffic reductions in the last 5 years. There are some subforums on the RX-7 forum that would have 5 pages of new threads every day. Now it's more like a few hundred posts, and a few new threads.

Yep, I've seen the Duke engine demos. It's a neat design. Basically a swash plate compressor adapted as an engine (you'll find a swash plate compressor as nearly every automotive A/C compressor). Not really a new design by a long shot. John DeLorean was toying with this idea in the 70s, and I'm sure there have been a lot more before him. Since they are rotating the cylinder head, that short of brings a sealing nightmare to the forefront. Not sure the advantage of rotating the cylinder head other than a few less valve train components and a few less spark plugs. But adding to that the monster task of making the sealing system reliable over the long term and thousands of thermal cycles. Seems to me that a set of rotary valves or desmodronic valves would be easier and more reliable.
Go to Top of Page

eze
Apprentice

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...as usual, your videos inspired me to take on my old RX7 project after losing my 90 FC to an unrecoverable rusted chassis so I got myself a mint 86 roller from Tennessee and dropped a brand newly rebuilt 13b and all the other recoverable parts from the old car into it. Except, I don't have the time or skills that you do so it has cost me an arm and a leg and now I have a mint car with no interior. Aaaaanyway....That brings me to my next subject. I think its time for another Aaron Cake meme for your title shots. Hope you are well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000